cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plusnet hub has very poor wireless, what to do ?

FIXED
SirLurkalot
Grafter
Fixes: 1

New Plusnet hub has very poor wireless, what to do ?

I decided to go to Wireless and have just received the Plusnet hub. The actual change is due on Monday 25th. However the issue is with the wireless side of things. The line speed is presently as before, around 15Mbps.

However the wireless is unreliable across the lounge and as for upstairs, seemingly non-existent. If I walk around with my mobile, obviously the wireless symbol is at maximum when next to the router but it even disappears on the other side of the room ! Sky Catch up no longer functions properly, taking ages to even download the menus.

Previously I had a wireless security camera working on the outside wall, that's no longer accessible.

Is there a much better router available, I'd even be willing to pay for it. Having reconfigured all my odds and ends, this is really frustrating !

12 REPLIES 12
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Re: New Plusnet hub has very poor wireless, what to do ?

Fix

I have a BT HH6 and using the Netgear wifi checker app on my phone it is not significantly better than the PN router.

You could buy a better one but a good one is not cheap. I solved this problem with a simple range extender and attach all my devices too it. I have the even cheaper less powerful one and it is OK for me but friends use this one and all seem pleased with it.

No shortage of choices depending on budget and requirements. You could also use homeplugs  in the mains circuit with a wifi output. A variety of options from good brands such as Devolo and TP-Link. 

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@SirLurkalot 

Who was your previous ISP. If you had FTTC previously and the modem/router can be configured then PlusNet are happy for you to use your own equipment. The settings reqquired can be found in the Help section.

Brian

SirLurkalot
Grafter

I was still with Plusnet but on ADSL with a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band router. I've never had any issues with Wireless around the property and the Hub is in exactly the same place. .I'll give the extender a go. Thanks.

SirLurkalot
Grafter

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a try. It's certainly a more economical solution. Cheers.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@SirLurkalot 

You don’t say which precise version of Netgear router you have. Is it a model with a built in ADSL modem?

Either way, you can configure it as a Wireless Access Point. You can then connect this to your Plusnet hub via one of the LAN sockets and switch off the Plusnet hub wireless. 

Your manual should tell you how to turn it into a WAP but if you are stuck just tell us the model number and we will try to help.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@SirLurkalot - there's a software update available for the Plusnet hub that fixes a few known WiFi defects.

I've just pushed it to your device, you'll need to power your hub off/back on to apply it.

Might not help, but worth a shot to avoid you any unnecessary expense.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@SirLurkalot

Further thought. You could plug your N600 into the mains without a broadband  connection and compare the wifi signal strength of the two routers in different locations....? Its SSID will be visible too.

SirLurkalot
Grafter

It is the ADSL2+version of the N600 but I had already ordered a Netgear extender for £30 which is now installed and appears to have improved the situation. The only item I haven't got connected so far is the CamHI camera on the back wall but that's more a question of getting it set up, so I think I'm back in business.

Thanks for all the advice, very helpful. Cheers.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @SirLurkalot

Are you still using the Plusnet Hub One? My system is saying that it's offline. There are a few settings on there that I can tweak, as well as running a smart wireless scan to ensure that you're on the best WIFI channels if you'd like me to give that a go?

The router would need to be powered up though. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
SirLurkalot
Grafter

Yes, I'm still using the Plusnet hub. I guess the reason it was off-line, was they've just swapped it over to fibre. The speed test shows 37Mbps down and 11Mbps up. If you can improve that, feel free. Thanks.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Ah fair enough, while the order to upgrade your service is complete, the account change is still open on our end, and will complete at any point up to midnight.

On your router though, I've just split the SSID's, and have run a smart wireless scan, ensuring that you're on the best WIFI channels. I hope this helps to provide a good connection for you while you're on fibre. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
SirLurkalot
Grafter

Ok. Thanks for looking.