AndyH
Grafter

Re: New Plusnet Fibre

What are your estimates?
nick1979
Dabbler

Hello Andy
Sorry about the formatting but hopefully you can pick it out.

Featured Products
Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Downstream Range(Mbps)
Availability Date
High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 79.8 20 20 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 70.2 20 17.7 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2.5 -- 1 to 4 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 2.5 Up to 0.5 1 to 4 Available
ADSL Max Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Looks like BT have made a big error in their database those estimets are based on distance being just a few metres not Kilo metres away either the BT database is way off which wouldn't be a first, or the enginner fed you a buch of cobblers again wouldn't be a first.
My guess would be the database, My estimate is lower than a friend across the street from me on the same cab eg
here's mine as it currently stands it was a lot higher but was cut by BT after i got a line fault back in May
RUNCORN EAST is served by Cabinet 52
FTTC Range A (Clean) 38.3 30 7.8 6 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 32 17 7.8 4.4 -- Available
here is my friends
RUNCORN EAST is served by Cabinet 52
FTTC Range A (Clean) 74.3 56.1 20 17.3 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 65.4 38.4 20 12 -- Available
Same Street,  Same cab but totally Different estimates work that one out.
paulbrett
Dabbler

I was getting 3.0 Mbps on ADSL2+
PlusNet Fibre installed last Friday (28th) for which I was promised 10.4 Mbps.
What have I got.....
Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.52 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.27 Mbps-1.59 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 1.59 Mbps

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 16.5 10.4 1.2 0.8 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 13.6 5.9 1 0.6 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3.5 -- 2 to 6 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 3.5 Up to 0.5 2 to 6 Available

WTF?
I'm paying MORE for this!
WWWombat
Grafter

If the estimate is right, then you're certainly suffering from a fault: PN staff would probably ask you to follow the fault procedure for it to be looked at:
http://faults.plus.net/
However, it should be noted that it *is* possible, for an unlucky few, for lines to end up with an FTTC speed lower than their ADSL speed.
It would probably happen if they were over 1.5km from their cabinet (actual line length), while also being more than 2.5km from the exchange.
Or over 2km from the cabinet, while also being more than 4km from the exchange.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
nick1979
Dabbler

Hello wwwombat
I have had the checks by BT as per the previous posts and had on the face of it accepted I was one of the 'unlucky few'.  My problem is the neighbours line is apparently the same as mine running to the same cabinet and they get 24mb/s after a period of no internet whilst BT were 'looking at' the problem. I was not expecting 40mb and took the estimates with a pinch of salt. I believe something has changed with/or on my neighbours line that should be open for me as well.
@paulbrett
My estimate was 40mb/s and I got 1,7mb. I went through the http://faults.plus.net/ . The results are in this thread. It sounds like you are in the same boat as me.
WWWombat
Grafter

@nick1979
Sorry, my last post was really a response to @paulbrett. There should have been a separate post to you, but it seems to have disappeared into the ether...
For you:
Moving a line to a different cabinet is possible in theory, in some circumstances, but doesn't happen much in practice. It would also be costly, if it were ever agreed to. It is known as a network re-arrangement, and most ISPs wouldn't even know what you were talking about!
However, I can say from experience that your neighbours could not order fibre until *after* the work had been done, and after Openreach's database has been updated to show the correct (new) cabinet. Without that, any fibre order will allocate a port on the wrong DSLAM ... and I know this because I cannot currently get my fibre order completed. The change in cabinet ought to be visible on the address or phone-number checkers from BT Wholesale.
The question you need answering is: Did anything happen to the neighbours line to "fix" broadband for them that *also* happened to your line? Unfortunately, there is certainly no obvious answer to this. As I said before, the neighbour could be routed differently, in a different cable bundle with different physical properties.
You could talk to the neighbours to find out what actually happened, but the only real way to find out is to order again.
Having access to a modem that has been re-flashed with "open" firmware would help, because it would let you compare the line's properties with your neighbours'. Useful data - so it is a shame that Openreach make it so difficult to get hold of.
Plusnet Customer
nick1979
Dabbler

Hello WWWombat
Thanks for your reply
All my neighbours were told at the end of the 2 days offline was that there was a faulty hub. That means nothing to me. They were also told they had not moved cabinet,
I am currently still on fibre awaiting transfer back to ADSL but will speak to Plusnet tomorrow,
chrcoluk
Grafter

Possibilities are numerous.
1 - There was a fault, it got fixed and fault may have affected more than 1 pair meaning if you reorder you may be pleasantly surprised.
2 - They on a different pair bundle, which may take a better route or be better quality cable.
3 - Could be down to crosstalk luck of the draw however the figures given in this thread would be pretty extreme.
If it were me I would go back to FTTC, if speeds not even close to neighbour then I would raise a low speed fault.
WWWombat
Grafter

@nick1979
I tend to agree with chrcoluk
At the very least, before I lost access to the FTTC connection, I'd try to get details of the current line data (things such as attenuation, sync speed and/or DLM line profiles, error rate). I would do this by re-flashing the modem, and getting most of it direct. However, Plusnet ought to be able to give you the data that they can get hold of.
Plusnet Customer
nick1979
Dabbler

Hello
Have postponed the move back to ADSL and am awaiting a response to the fault ticket.
chrcoluk
Grafter

WWWombat is right, having access to the actual line stats will help a great deal.
nick1979
Dabbler

Hello
Thanks for all your help. Reflashing modems is not something I would like to do so I am in the hands of Plusnet.  Having updated the ticket on Friday I have heard no more unfortunately.
nick1979
Dabbler

Hello
Just an update.  My problem has still not been resolved and am down to 1.2mb/s download. It seems to me if you want fibre you need to go to BT for the first contract.  My neighbour is still happily getting 24mb/s whilst apparently connected to the same cabinet as me (56).  I have since found out that another close neighbour had their business on fibre in an outbuilding. They decided to move it over to the line in the house and it would not work. It was found that the business line was attached to cabinet 102 (the closer one) and the residential to cabinet 56.  So BT recabled to get the residential onto cabinet 102. 
Plusnet have told me that any recabling would be chargeable to me yet BT seem to do it for free. I have not been given a cost.
I have phoned Plusnet a number of times but I am not sure that anything happens as a result as the ticket does not get updated following the phone calls. The latest call on Saturday resulted in Plusnet apparently finding a fault on the line again, but again no ticket update.
Think an email to the CEO might be in order.
chrcoluk
Grafter

BT (openreach) do reroute some lines, I dont know how people manage to get this done tho as officially the word is it will not be and cannot be done.  It is possible that neighbour who is paying for business services might be on a lucrative contract so BT were happy to do the work, who knows.  I would be very surprised if you succeeded in getting put on the nearer cabinet.