Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plusnet Fibre

nick1979
Dabbler

New Plusnet Fibre

Hello
I have had fibre installed this morning and it has connected up at 1800 kbps which is half the speed I got from my old BT ADSL. I have contacted Plusnet support who say I need to wait ten days for it to settle. I would accept that if the speed was higher than I was getting on my old ADSL but this seems appallingly low.
Any advise would be appreciated.
37 REPLIES 37
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: New Plusnet Fibre

Everything on our side looks as it should. The profiles are correct and the account is set as a fibre account.
Can you try a disconnect/reconnect within the router please?
If you're still seeing the low speeds after that, can you run through the steps at https://faults.plus.net so we can do some more testing on the line.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
nick1979
Dabbler

Hello Chris
Did that and the speed went down to 1.6. Have logged fault.
Thanks
nick1979
Dabbler

Chris
Legend

I can see one of my colleagues has picked up your fault report and raised this to our suppliers. Can you let us know on the ticket which days you're available for an engineer visit and whether you'd prefer am or pm for an appointment. We'd need 3 dates ideally in case your first choice isn't available.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
nick1979
Dabbler

Hello
Have sent the dates. I really cant understand how my speed can be under half what it was on bt adsl and that was getting slow. I am nowhere near an expert on this but if I read the details you have supplied correctly you can find nothing wrong with my line but my equipment for some reason is syncing  at about 1.7/1.2.  We are back to the good old days of using the internet one at a time in this household now.
nick1979
Dabbler

Now down totally and still no engineer even booked.  Not a good start with Plusnet
Chris
Legend

Unfortunately it seems that you closed the open fault ticket meaning that we didn't receive the response with your selected engineer dates. I can see you've contacted us since this and one of my colleagues has created a new ticket with your preferred dates on. Our faults team will pick this up asap and confirm which date has been booked for you.
nick1979
Dabbler

If you look at the ticket I responded yesterday with the dates.  I inadvertently closed the call about an hour ago due to having to use a tiny  mobile to communicate as I have no internet. So what you say is incorrect. Having inadvertently closed the call I immediately phoned support to get it reopened. They told me they would reinstate it somehow and confirmed that they were waiting for engineer availability.
nick1979
Dabbler

Just to update. An openreach engineer has been to our property this morning. and after checking has confirmed that a speed of around 1.7mb is the maximum we will get.  http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3929138095 Our copper line is apparently 1.8-2.2km long is in good condition and goes to a cabinet that is not our nearest (our nearest cabinet is a 1.2km drive). As we were getting a much higher speed from ADSL this is not acceptable, but not sure where we go from here
nick1979
Dabbler

Hello
Despite the btdslchecker giving almost perfect results it would appear the max I will get is 1.7mb. Because of this I am being moved back to ADSL. I just wish I could get something like the speeds some of you are complaining of as not adequate.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Sadly BT will do the rollout the cheapest way, not the optimal way, meaning there are cases like yours where service is worse than it is with adsl.
nick1979
Dabbler

Hello
Perhaps someone can explain this.  As you will see I have been told the max I will get with fibre is 1.7mb/s so I am in the process of being moved back to ADSL. My neighbour applied for fibre through BT which they started to install on Tuesday and after a couple of days with no internet have now told us they are connected at 24mb/s. We were on the same cabinet and have very similar predictions on the BT broadband availability checker. In practice we had a slightly higher connection speed on ADSL than our neighbour.  When investigating our fibre problem the openreach engineer said our copper line was good. If my neighbour can get fibre why cant we?
My only thought is BT have moved my neighbours line to the closer cabinet but I am told that is not possible.
WWWombat
Grafter

Distance isn't the only aspect that affects speed - thickness of the cable matters too. A 0.7mm copper cable acts like a line that is half the length compared to standard 0.5mm copper.
It could be that their cable goes back to the cabinet in a different bundle, with different properties. It could be similar if your line is aluminium, while theirs is copper.
As an example, my old house was in a 1996-built estate, with good copper. The individual houses all had estimates consistent with 0.5mm copper. However, there were 4 different blocks of flats (around 10-20 flats in each) dotted around the estate - and each flat had speed estimates *much* better than the houses either side ... and the speeds were consistent with 0.7mm copper.
As for the cabinet for your neighbour, you could check. Try the address checker here, put in just the postcode, and then select the address from the drop-down list. That should tell you both their estimate and their cabinet.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
nick1979
Dabbler

Hello WWWombat
Thanks for your reply
I have a copper cable and the engineer told me it was in good condition. I do not know the diameter. It is probably 30+ years old if that makes a difference.  My neighbour will probably have the same as we are a pair of semi-detached houses.
I had already checked on the BT DSL checker. As I said we are/or were on the same cabinet and had identical predictions apart from my neighbour having a lower prediction on ADSL. As I said before in practice we had a higher connection on ADSL, than they did which would imply to a layman that my bit of copper is performing slightly better and as such should get at least similar results on fibre. I would assume if my neighbour have had their line moved to the nearer cabinet it will update over time.