cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Install Yesterday - Fibre 20mb less than I was getting with TalkTalk

johnfermor

New Install Yesterday - Fibre 20mb less than I was getting with TalkTalk

Hi
I changed ISPs from TalkTalk (Unlimited Fibre Large) to PlusNet (Unlimited Fibre Extra). The connection went live yesterday.
Several speed tests later (http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/), reports the following:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 41.01 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speed is  40 Mbps-69.31 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 69.31 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 13.2Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
I live about 70 metres from the fibre cabinet and supplied my own fibre router (a Cisco E3000) which was fine prior to the changeover.
I appreciate that it may take up to 10 days for the speed to 'settle' but I was getting up to 68mb\17mb with TalkTalk but just 41mb\13mb with PlusNet (on the same equipment); I simply don't think it will 'suddenly' correct itself by this large margin. Also as I'm paying for the fibre 'extra' service, I don't agree that speeds within 40mb - 69.31mb is 'acceptable'.
Where do I go from here? If this is the best PlusNet can do, or will I need to downgrade to unlimited fibre (36mb) as the extra 4mb is not worth the extra cost?
Regards
John

2 REPLIES 2
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New Install Yesterday - Fibre 20mb less than I was getting with TalkTalk

check current line speed - see my sig for a link
were those results wired or wireless
johnfermor

Re: New Install Yesterday - Fibre 20mb less than I was getting with TalkTalk

Speedcheck from your signature:
Estimated line speed:68Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions.
Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support.
These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.)  - Checked on 2015-10-29 14:39:40
Current line speed:78 Mb
Just tried plugging laptop directly into router and get 67mb! Looks like I have a cabling issue to sort out!
Thanks.
John