cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Install - Fibre 40/2

itineris

New Install - Fibre 40/2

We have just had FTTC installed and the results are fairly disappointing, the speed is about the same as our old ADSL however are inlne with the wholesale checker. The BT engineer said our speed at the exchange is being limited to 40 down and 2 up and asked me to speak to PlusNet helpdesk to get this changed which I did. I have been a long term PlusNet user mainly because of the customer support but on this occasion I was hugely disappointed with the support engineer in fact I would call him rude and unhelpful whereas the BT engineer was polite. I understand about DLM but I have got 2 people telling me different things. Does my profile need changing or is the BT engineer wrong?
Tim
24 REPLIES 24
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New Install - Fibre 40/2

Regardless as to who is correct the attitude of the Plusnet support engineer is completely unacceptable
If you can advise the approximate time of the call it should help the staff on here to check and listen to the call
The downstream speed will be limited by the Current Line Speed here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed which is easily fixed
If you run this speed test what are the results http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/
itineris

I don't want to turn this is issue about the quality of PlusNet support as I have always been happy in the past so I would prefer not to name any names. If I can just get some help to improve our upload speed in particular that would be great.
Tim
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

The BT engineer said our speed at the exchange is being limited to 40 down and 2
As well as your Current Line speed being wrong, as JIm says, it's possible that you've being provisioned incorrectly. I'm sure one of the Customer Relations Team(CRT) will be along shortly to sort matters out...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

itineris

Our current line speed is set to 40mb, should it now be 80mb as we are on Unlimited Business Fibre?
Tim
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

What estimates did the BT checker give you?
I believe that Plusnet will often provision on 40Mbit if the estimate is below that (though the upstream should really be 10 rather than 2 in such cases)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Unlimited Business Fibre is the up to 76Mb product, let me go take a look at what's happened.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

The estimates for your line aren't great. The top end estimate on the upload speed is only 1.2Mb, this is very likely why we placed an order for the 40/2 service. Unless I'm looking at the wrong accoutn, your line is only connecting at 11Mbps, so there is no restriction by being on the 40Mbs wholesale product.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
itineris

Yes I think our line is too long to support really fast speeds however the BT engineer gave me the impression that if we could get our line moved to 40/20 or higher we should be able to get better speeds, upload in particular. When we were using ADSL we always got 8Mbps/832Kbps compared to the 6Mb estimate so I always thought we had a fairly good line quality.
Tim
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

while line quality does come into play the main factor with speeds on fibre comes from the distance you are to the fibre cabinet your connected to, it's not uncommon to be further away from the fibre cab then the exchange that provided the ADSL connection and such get the same  or not much better or some times worse speeds than being on ADSL.  
also with fibre the quality of the signal drops a lot quicker than ADSL so that to can come in to play which can be worse if your line is aluminium rather than the optimum copper.
sadly it looks like you maybe stuck with what you have, maybe have another word with plusnet if you feel you were miss sold in any way  especially if you signed up and paying for 80 / 20 and it's not much better than adsl.  
itineris

I am getting a little frustrated because even though I was fully aware of the estimated speed I presumed I would be placed on 80/20 because that is what I thought I was paying for so finding out the order was placed for 40/2 just seems wrong.
Tim
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

plusnet go by the estimates given to them by BTO and becasue they say your only capable of no more than 40Mb that's the option they have put you on, I'm not sure how you were able to put an order for the 80 / 20 option if the estimate was no where near that I always thought the plusnet ordering system didn't allow it maybe i'm wrong about that, as i say have a word with plusnet you shouldn't be on and paying for 80 / 20.
Chris
Legend

Honestly, with an 11Mb downstream sync and a 1.2Mb upstream I really can't see that putting you on the 80/20 wholesale product would make any difference. If you would like us to put you on the 80/20 wholesale product, we can do but as above this is unlikely to make any difference.
maybe have another word with plusnet if you feel you were miss sold in any way 

Certainly not the case from what I can tell, the estimates were provided in a ticket during the account change.
itineris

Chris,
I am not worried about miselling so lets put that one to bed. I would just like to follow the BT engineers advice of getting the upload speed increased, is 40/20 or 40/10 possible?
Tim
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Your line is currently limited to 2Mbps up and it can't achieve that so putting you on a faster product won't make any difference.
I'm presuming that the exchange is 20CN only because if you were getting 8Mbps/832Kbps on ADSL you'd get much faster speeds from ADSL2+ than you are from fibre.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)