cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hub One wont accept 10.x.x.x RFC1918 Gateway or DHCP Range ? BT home hub FON

osfan
Dabbler

New Hub One wont accept 10.x.x.x RFC1918 Gateway or DHCP Range ? BT home hub FON

My apologies if this has been asked, and answered anywhere previously.
I'm due an Openreach engineer visit to swap me from ADSL to FTTC, and was just trying to set up the Hub One modem/router prior to the engineer's visit. I can't seem to set the IP address of the router in the 10.x.x.x range with a 10.0.0.0/25 subnet. I just get invalid entry! errors against those input boxes.
Is this by design ? It seems odd that I can't use one of the three RFC1918 networks for private use.
If the Hub One is based on the BT home hub, I suspect it may be due to BT WiFi (FON) although I would have thought that when they converted over the software to Plusnet branding, and presumably disabled the FON functionality they would have thought to allow the full range of RFC1918 addresses again, maybe it was just missed.
Could anyone enlighten me please ?
I really would prefer not to have to change the IP addresses of all of the devices on my home network.
Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: New Hub One wont accept 10.x.x.x RFC1918 Gateway or DHCP Range ? BT home hub FON

Try with a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask ((10.0.0.0/24); most consumer grade devices get a little confused with anything out of the ordinary.
If that works they try with your prefered option after.
Ian
osfan
Dabbler

Re: New Hub One wont accept 10.x.x.x RFC1918 Gateway or DHCP Range ? BT home hub FON

Hi Ian
Thanks for the suggestion.
I tried 10.0.0.0/24 no luck, I still get invalid entry! errors.
Looking in the help section there is a note on "The valid IP addresses for use on your home network" the class B, and C networks are "valid".
It goes on to state "To prevent conflict with future services, there are some combinations of IP settings that aren't allowed. The 10.x.x.x range is not available for customer use as it is reserved."
I do wonder if this is to do with FON or a possible subsuming of Plusnet into BT, neither of which I am particularly keen on.
Changing IP addresses is going to be a real pain for me, I have a number of virtual machine images that will need to be loaded up, and changed as well as archived virtual machine images that need to be changed if/when I have to restore, and use them. The point of standards is that they're supposed to be followed, what's the point of RFC1918 otherwise ?
Looks like I will be turning off the WiFi on the Hub One, and just using it as a modem, such a pity a one box instead of two solution is always better.
Perhaps Plusnet could do an offer of broadband without the router at a discount, so that people could put the money towards their own one box modem/router solution. I know that for the majority they want a modem/router that is standard for support purposes, but crippling some functionality isn't helpful.
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

The 10.x.x.x range is not available for customer use as it is reserved.

Just a small range then....16,777,214 hosts.
Either use it as a modem or buy another one box solution (billion 8800nl would be my choice)
broadband without the router at a discount,

I wonder if they pay >£10/device, the numbers they purchase the discounts must be high.
osfan
Dabbler

Well the routers probably only cost a bit more than the postage to Plusnet, but even £12-£15 towards a customer own solution, and not having another useless piece of kit cluttering up your house, and possibly ending up in a land fill one day would be welcome.
I'll look at the Billion but for now will just use the Hub One as a modem, after Christmas I might well look at getting a modem/router with VPN server built in for use when out, and about using "Free WiFi" in coffee shops etc.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

There's certainly references to 10.0.0.0/24 being reserved for FON connections with the BT Hub.  As a test (and I realise that this doesn't solve your problem) have you tried entering a different subnet eg 10.0.1.0/24 to see if that is allowed?  It would be interesting to find out...
osfan
Dabbler

From what I've seen looking at BT home hub posts all 10.x.x.x is reserved, so I don't think 10.0.1.0/24 will work, but I will test it when I get a moment, just to be sure.
It wouldn't help in my case as I would still have to reconfigure all of my devices, and virtual machines. I think I'm going to just use the Hub One as a modem for now, and after Christmas I'll look at a Billion 8800 or something similar, possibly an Asus DSL-AC68U as that has external antenna, and VPN server, and firmware with a great deal more options.
One thing I'm sure about though is that I really don't want FON on my router at all !