Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New House

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

New House

Not sure if this is the correct forum.....
My sister has recently moved back to Britain from Thailand, and has now bought a house here. She was asking me about internet and I recommended plusnet fibre. I have been over today( she's not moved in yet, still living with parents). Managed to locate master socket, but it's dead with normal tone, and nobody seems to have any idea what the number was. Firstly how does she go about ordering broadband, and how do we find out what services are available, as btw checker only gives adsl on a postcode check, not any fibre info.
Secondly the master is a bit odd. It seems to be an older nte5 with an interstitial plate. The back box to the wall is only held on with 1 screw. There appear to be 3 hardwired extensions in the house, all wiring chased into plaster, but she says she will never use them anyway, so I was going to disconnect at the master socket, but there is only 1 wire on the back of the faceplate, and blue/white connected to 2 and 5, but also orange/white connected to 3 and 4. I have attached a photo. 
Can anyone advise on this, and also how to check what she can get
Many thanks.

Sorry don't appear to be able to attach a picture anymore.....
17 REPLIES 17
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Re: New House

Managed to attach, by using Chome under windows rather than android. Any ideas why I couldnt attach using chrome under android?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@penfold 

When using the DSLChecker select the Address version, enter only the post code and then select the actual address from the drop down list.

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@penfold 

To find out what is available use the BT wholesale postcode checker, see. https://my.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

There is a link to address/postcode checker at the bottom of the page

I assume that the extension cables are daisy chained around the house, hence only the one cable going to the master socket. This is the correct way to connect extensions. Only the blue and white cores, which should be connected to terminals 2 and 5 are required, the others should be disconnected. If you don’t need extensions then disconnect all four.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks both. Got the info. Fttc is on a waiting list, adsl speeds are sub 3mb😕😕. Have emailed openreach to find out timescales for capacity increase. They have a form you can fill out to contact them. Have tried before and got pretty good info from them, and resolution.
bmc
Hero

@penfold 

In answer to your second query, your chosen ISP will order a phone line and ADSL service on your behalf. If you do it on the phone make sure your mention your concerns over the Master Socket. It you're lucky you'll get an engineer round who'll sort it all out for you (and replace the Master Socket!!!).

I believe there may be a time delay between the phone line and the internet service - the chicken comes before the egg. However, this might only apply to FTTC.

As for FTTC you'll simply have to do regular checks on availability and order ASAP once it shows as available. There is no waiting list as far as I'm aware  - first come, first served.

Brian

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the replies. She cannot work with sub 2mb broadband, with 2 teenage kids. She's likely going to use 4g dongles till fttc available.
Stoker
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Not sure what you mean by " it's dead with normal tone". If you have dial tone, dial 17070 and the BT message will tell you your number.

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Think that was my fat fingers..... The line is dead with no dial tone. No response as yet from OR. Its laughable in this day and age, a 10yr old housing estate has no fibre capacity left, and they are building more houses in the area.........
bmc
Hero

@penfold 

It's more than possible the new houses will be FTTP only!!!

Brian

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from Fibre Broadband to Tech Help

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Had an email from Openreach this morning, telling me fibre was now available!!!

Shes ordered with Plusnet on one of your black friday deals. All went thought OK, but she needs an engineer vist.

Just of note, was the £49.99 charge for phone line activation, as the deal said activation was free, discounted from £10.

Anyhow, all good!!

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Also... The master socket I have mentioned is damaged... Do you think, if asked nicely the bt engineer would move the master socket to one of the living room extensions. House is on 3 stories, garage and small bedroom on ground, living room and kitchen on 1st floor and 2 other bedrooms on 2nd. Be better as ground floor doors are thick fire doors, and router would then be in the centre of the house.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

ask nicely, while proferring copious amounts of tea or coffee, AND chokky bikkies !...

He can only say.. No... in which case,

you swiftly remove said tea/coffe cup(s) and the chokky bikkies !  ( guffawing chinaman emoticon)

Best practical time to ask, is before he actually starts work on the premises.... suggest to him that you would "prefer it " if the lead  - in came into the room you wanted the master socket... so he knows how much cable and where to route it...

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks @shutter
I shall try that out