Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Gateway kicked

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

New Gateway kicked

I am getting fed up with plusnet kicked you out of new gateway with ptn-bng01 and reconnected to old gateway. I have to force myself trying to get onto ptn-bng01 gateway because this gateway give me 74/19 but all other gateway only give me 67/18. Why is new gateway is fastest than other gateway?
How to stop plusnet kicked you out of this gateway ptn-bng01. (Been connected for 2 weeks then get kicked out)
16 REPLIES 16
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: New Gateway kicked

Your gateway is likely to change each time your connection drops or a PPP session starts. It's not often that we would be the cause of this unless we announce maintenance.
All the gateways should give similar performance so you shouldn't need to continually jump around them.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I am sorry Chris as I did try five old gateway as the speed only getting 67Meg but the new gateway giving me 74Meg. I don't know why it like this? Using ethernet (not wifi). At one moment when i checked speed it went down to 67Meg as I thought "Oh great, here we go DLM might interleaved my line?" but after I checked my router sync rate it still 80Meg and no interleaving and it was old gateway that cause slow speed 67Meg and I managed to reconnected to new gateway after fifth attempt and the speed now at 74Meg as it should be.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Does it really matter at those speeds?
As an avid follower of the forums you will be aware that over recent months one has been markedly better off on the non-bng gateways.
Looking at the current gateway loading, one explanation for the difference might be that the old gateways are running near their maximum capacity, whilst all of the bng gateways are running below their recent maximums and way below their historical loadings of 70k+ users.
Does not the frequent disconnections from the bng gateways tell you something?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Townman
Does it really matter at those speeds?

The big different between 67 and 74 are does matter to me! Losing 7Meg is unacceptable for fibre with a sync rate of 80Meg. Old gateway give me horrible high ping of 16ms. While the new gateway give me 9ms.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

for goodness sake why do you feel the need to keep running speed tests to get the last ounce out of your connection
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I don't run speedtest all the times. The site was even slower when I noticed it, can't get bbci player work. So, I check the speedtest and saw 67Meg and checked router etc for any DLM, loss of connection. The old gateway behaviour badly until I get better on the new gateway and able to watch BBCi player. I haven't come here very often.
jim:quote
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

In the real world many people don't even get 7M - full stop.  I would not quite give my right arm for 7Mbps but I would be exceedingly happy.  God damit I can do more than enough on 5Mbps - certainly can watch iPlayer reasonably well.  So raw line speed just ain't the issue - may be your kit cannot keep up with things?
You do take up an awful lot of people's time around here for what is frankly not an issue!  You are in about the top 15% of the population for line speed.  Be happy over that and chill.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Oldjim
for goodness sake why do you feel the need to keep running speed tests to get the last ounce out of your connection

Nothing else to do?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@Jim
Just be thankful that on fibre the ISPs can't request DLM resets - otherwise he be demanding those every two days like he used to on ADSL!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I shall say no further comment. Merry Xmas to you all and the Plusnet Staff. Rant over! I probably got out of the wrong bed today.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Embarrassed Embarrassed Grin
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

And a merry Christmas to you too GF.  Wink

leader
Grafter

Max takes the internet connection seriously Smiley
As I've said many times before aaisp  is for the more discerning fttc user (goldenfibre) while keeping the line rental with plusnet. Wink
You can set your own  LNS profile rates ( yes 110% )  and a host of other line settings at will.
http://wiki.aa.org.uk/Line_Options_and_Line_Settings
You can also run KBD and End to End Test from the comfort of the "clueless"  control  page.
http://wiki.aa.org.uk/Line_Diagnostics
http://wiki.aa.org.uk/Category:Control_Pages
goldenfibre can tweak to hearts content  --
Dons tin foil hat for incoming from Townman & AndyH  Grin

Happy Xmas as well to everyone .
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Webif,
No incoming from this direction.  Your comments are fair reasonable and sound.  If one wants refinement in controls over the service, then one needs to find a provider offering that - and accept that there is a price tag on it.
A very happy Christmas to you too.  Keep the tin foil for the Christmas turkey.  Cheesy
Kevin