Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre installation

StephenM
Grafter

New Fibre installation

Hi All,
I recently (Friday last week) had plusnet fibre broadband installed to my home.
Overall I was impressed with how the installation went.
The BT engineer arrived at the start of his scheduled window and took about 30 mins to do installation.
I am aware that it takes some time for the throughput to 'settle' but things currently look good with upload speeds of ~15Mbit/s and download speeds of ~40Mbit/s.
The only thing that is concerning is that I have had several instances yesterday (Sunday) of the connection dropping then re-connecting after a few minutes.
Is this expected behavior  during the first few days after the installation or should I be raising a ticket?
Thanks for your advice
Stephen
86 REPLIES 86
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: New Fibre installation

Raise a ticket or wait for one of the DCT to pick it up, it shouldn't be doing that.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Yesterday there were quite a few disconnects showing up, but none so far today. Can you keep an eye on the connection and if the drops start up again can you finish off the faults checker at https://faults.plus.net so we can take a deeper look.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
StephenM
Grafter

Thank's for the information Chris
Before I complete the faults checker can you confirm my suspicion that there was a disconnect yesterday evening (Mon 8th)?
I'm starting to suspect that everything is OK when the house is empty and the disconnects start happening when we return.
If this does turn out to be the case then it's either only happening when it's being used or it is susceptible to some interference from one of my appliances which my ADSL link was not (ADSL was always solid).
Is there a way of me getting access to the connection logs so I can monitor it myself?
Cheers
Stephen
StephenM
Grafter

In the absence if a response here I've raised a ticket.
I lost the connection a few times again tonight and I am now also experiencing very poor speeds, on the BTW Performance test I get 5.32Mb/s down and 7.71Mb/s up with a latency of 39.75ms
I created a PPOE connection on my PC as per the fault finder page and tested a direct connection to the modem. The results were the same.
I no longer think it's interference as I've had everything switched off this evening while performing the tests and my old ADSL link did not experience these issues.
I got this installed so we could watch Netflix in HD over Christmas. 
I'm starting to wish I'd stuck with ADSL.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Hi there.
Sorry for the delay in responding to your post. I've attached your connection graph below

I can see you've raised a fault to our faults team. They'll investigate and get in touch with you as soon as possible.
Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
StephenM
Grafter

Thanks for the update Matthew.
What is particularly interesting about the graphs is that no-one was in the house between 8 and 9 this morning (Weds) and no-one was up at ~1am on Saturday or ~4am Sunday. This would seem to further rule out interference.
Is there anyway me keeping track of the fault I have raised with the faults team?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Yup it does certainly seem to rule out interference.
The only thing our testing suggested was that you weren't using the Openreach modem. Is that the case?
With regards to tracking the fault you can view the progress through the help assistant. I've included the direct link below for you.
http://www.plus.net/my.html?action=questions
If you have any further questions please let us know.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
StephenM
Grafter

Hi Matthew
I am using the BT Openreach modem.
I do however have my own wireless router (DLINK DIR-880L)
Yesterday evening, when the downward speeds, were very slow and I lost my connection I tried replacing the DLINK router with the Openreach one. The speed remained slow.
I have also tried removing the router completely and plugging my laptop into the Openreach modem and configuring a PPOE connection using Windows. Once again the speed remained very slow.
What was it in your tests that indicated I wasn't using the correct Modem? Could I possibly have a faulty Openreach modem?
Thanks
Stephen
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Our tests can sometimes state there's no equipment connected to the modem which we sometimes see if customers are using their own VDSL router.
If your using the OR modem then there's nothing to worry about.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
StephenM
Grafter

OK Thanks
I can confirm i am using the OR modem.
The sentence in my previous response should have read:-
"Yesterday evening, when the downward speeds, were very slow and I lost my connection I tried replacing the DLINK router with the Plusnet one. The speed remained slow".
StephenM
Grafter

Hi Matthew / Chris
Do you have an update on this please?
The faults team said they would get back to me in 24 hours from Tuesday evening and it's now nearly 48 hours.
My download speed was very slow again last night 8Mb/s while oddly my upload speed was 10Mb/s.
There was a power interruption due to the windy weather up here at about 22:30 last night so you ignore any disconnections that happened around that time.
Thanks
Stephen
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Thanks for letting me know, I'll ensure one of our faults guys picks this up for you.
Tony
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
StephenM
Grafter

Hello,
I have now received an email requesting dates for an Engineer visit which I have replied to.
It is only a week since the Engineer installed the face plate and the modem.
The email did not indicate what Plusnet had found during the testing - could someone on here elaborate.
The reason I ask is that I have been doing some research myself and there are quite a few reports on the internet of faulty overheating Openreach modems, particularly with the Huawei modem I have.
It has occurred to me that the behavior I am seeing could be consistent with this type of fault. Sometimes my speeds are OK and the disconnects do not occur, while sometimes the speeds are terrible and the disconnects are frequent.
I'm really hoping I'm not going to take an afternoon off work just for the engineer to replace the modem!
I'm curious as to why the Openreach Engineer s can only come out during working hours? I know that they also work Saturday mornings but this slot is not available with Plusnet.
If I have to be available for more of these visits then choosing a cheaper provider such as Plusnet is going to turn out to be a false economy due to the hours lost from work.
I guess that old saying might just be true - You only get what you pay for  Angry

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: StephenM
I'm curious as to why the Openreach Engineer s can only come out during working hours? I know that they also work Saturday mornings but this slot is not available with Plusnet.

Possibly because, by definition, the do not work when it is not "working hours"  ::). You could, of course, think they should work all hours without additional recompense Shocked
Seriously, Saturdays are sometimes available, but it's a small number hours that many people (not just Plusnet customers) would like allocated to their "fault".
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.