cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre installation but reduced sync speed.

kanaka

New Fibre installation but reduced sync speed.

Hello,

So i just got Fibre activated on my line which is estimated for 80mb but i'm only syncing at 55mb. Now i'm not expecting 80mb but 55mb seems a bit lower than normal surely?

Just wanna know if there's an issue or if i'm overthinking it. To be fair the connection has been very stable and consistent at 50-55mb/s

I feel like the fact that i have a non-NTE5/MK3 Master Socket might be the culprit. But i'm a newbie so don't know. 

What do you guys think?

Screen Shot 2016-05-14 at 9.25.43 am.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-14 at 9.33.28 am.png

6 REPLIES 6
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: New Fibre installation but reduced sync speed.

Did you plug the router into the phone test socket to see it that makes a difference? Assuming the master phone socket has one hidden under the lower cover.

Your BTW IP Profile and speed test is showing that you are under the acceptable speed (hence it is shown in red) so you might want to raise a fault at https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults after trying the test socket approach.

Please make sure that if you do unplug the router that you first log onto the router and click "disconnect" and wait a minute or two before you unplug it from the wall socket or turn its power off. Just so that the cabinet knows that you are disconnecting it and it is not a fault Smiley

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
kanaka

My socket doesn't have a testing port. Its one of the old 2/1 ones. 

I've raised a fault with Plusnet and they're looking into it. 

SpendLessTime
Hero

Might get Openreach to sort out the socket for free too if you're luckySmiley

Openreach have replaced mine twice now and the original was only installed in 1991.

Amazing how many of the old style sockets are still around and will stay as self installs are the norm now. 

kanaka

Yeah i suspect its the culprit. Even when i was on LLU broadband. I kept having frequent disconnections. I think there's massive interference going on that the micro-filters can't fully handle. 

If they do send an engineer out i'll plead for an NTE5 socket. Think the current one is from the early 80s, its probably older than me!

SpendLessTime
Hero

@kanaka wrote:

Think the current one is from the early 80s, its probably older than me!

Thank you for making me feel old Sad

kanaka

Haha. You don't look a day over 21 Thumbs_Up