cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre install - Wholesale speed vs actual speed

grex
Dabbler

New Fibre install - Wholesale speed vs actual speed

looking on the wholesale checker I get a clean download rate of 21.6Mbps and the openreach engineer said he tested at 21.
My profile looks like its set at 13.76, will this increase on it's own and will it go upto 21? if not hows it work?
5 REPLIES 5
xS9
Dabbler

Re: New Fibre install - Wholesale speed vs actual speed

That is the magic question....
I've just fallen victim to the mystery of DLM - Dynamic Line Management.
The theory is if you want 10 days and your line doesn't fail you will shift up a profile....
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Nope
On fibre it starts as fast as it can then reduces if it sees problems
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@grex
Your line is in sync at 14.2 so I'm not sure where the engineer got 21 from as his testing equipment is no different from having a modem connected. Your just below the low range of the estimated speed for your line so it may be worth raising a fault to see if anything can be done. https://faults.plus.net
@xS9
Your line is banded by DLM but your sync speed is within the estimates for your connection. Unfortunately there isn't anything we can do about that but in theory as long as the connection is stable with no errors it may get taken off at some point
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

As oldjim says there is no 10 day training on fibre once again miss information given out.
With fibre your line is fully open for two days once activated ie it will go as fast as it's capable of depending on what package your on.
DLM will watch the line for those two days then on the third it will act, if it feels everything is ok it will do nothing, if on the other hand it feels the line can't handle it it will make adjustments to slow things down to make it more stable this can range from adding interleaving to banding the line to both depending on how bad it was during that two day period.
DLM then continues to monitor the line and if it feels things have improved it may slowly start to increase speed back up again but this is sadly a very slow process it's not uncommon to wait weeks for this to happen if at all.

grex
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies. The openreach test equipment did show 20. something, so not sure why that was, I was above the top estimate on adsl, so it would fit that it should be nearer the top estimate and not the lower.