cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre instal for existing ADSL customer - confirming the process

abridgway

New Fibre instal for existing ADSL customer - confirming the process

I am an existing PlusNet customer
Placed an order yesterday to change product from ADSL to fibre.
Just wanted to confirm the install process. My understanding is as follows;
I will be sent a Hub One (Fibre MODEM / router). As I am an existing customer Openreach will need to comes to my premises to install a new face place on master socket. If I were a new customer this would not be required? - this would be self install.
The Openreach guy will install the Hub One into master socket. NO requirement for separate Openreach fibre MODEM and PlusNet router and connection between the two.
The HUB One requires 1 electrical socket. Is that right?
5 REPLIES 5
wayyoung
Rising Star

Re: New Fibre instal for existing ADSL customer - confirming the process

Hi,
I went through the same process recently. I'll tell you what happened with me if it's any help.
Upgraded to Fibre from ADSL. Was initially sent a Thomson router then PN changed their mind and sent me a Hub One but it wasn't a self install and an engineer appointment was made to install an new faceplate/filter. So no OP modem was needed. The PN Hub One needs one electrical socket as you rightly said.
I'm not too sure what the engineer is 'supposed' to do with the router as mine admitted he wasnt too techinical and worked on phone faults mostly. I had to deal with the router while he was still at my home.He didn't seem to know the difference between a rj11 and rj45 bless him!
I did save a little time though by configuring the router beforehand, and running some cables for an extension - they can do this if its requested when ordered.
Hope that helps you 🙂
abridgway

Thanks for the reply ... cannot quite understand why an engineer needs to come if you are existing but doesn't if you are new!!!
I will do the same as you and get the MODEM setup
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: misterTony
I'm not too sure what the engineer is 'supposed' to do with the router as mine admitted he wasnt too techinical and worked on phone faults mostly. I had to deal with the router while he was still at my home.He didn't seem to know the difference between a rj11 and rj45 bless him!
Lol. So BT 'engineers' are becoming like Sky 'engineers' eh?
Kimberlin
Rising Star

When I joined PN four weeks ago, prior to being switched on, I was being told one thing and then another, i.e. an engineer would need to come out and then, no, one doesn't need to come out, I frankly just got fed up with being given conflicting information. I was sent one of the totally useless separate router and modem kits a week before they released the Hub One, which I promptly sent back and continued using my old BT Home Hub 5.
I've gone down the self help route though, I've replaced the BT Master Socket face plate with the upgraded MK3 VDSL Openreach jobbie with built in filter and I also replaced the bottom section of the NTE5 box with a brand new one as the original was nearly 15 years old. I also replaced my original poor quality modem cable with a professional grade shielded cable from Tandy. Result after spending £20 on the bits of kit and ten minutes of my own time, a rock steady connection, zero drop outs, constant 37mbps download on a 40mbps connection. No complaints from me. Indeed, my connection on PN fibre is proving to be far more reliable than my former BT fibre connection.
nadger
Rising Star

I delayed upgrading to fibre until yesterday so it would be self install
As already had NTE5a I've just installed the BT Openreach VDSL / ADSL MK3 Interstitial Faceplate / Filter which is working fine with HH4 that I've had for 2 years.
Fingers xd