Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre customer - slow company VPN

FIXED
amd

New Fibre customer - slow company VPN

Hello there,

My new fibre contract went live yesterday (12th May) after being with T*lk T*lk for the past 18 months with their equivalent product.

I work from home (admin - meeting minutes, reports and so on) a couple of days a week and I've noticed that when using my company laptop & VPN connection, to allow me access to the internal drives and applications etc., it seems noticeably slower than my previous provider.

According to the 'Hub One' details the connection is at least at the same speed as the previous provider and when using my own laptop/smartphone etc. I don't have issues.

I've done a search and others have had similar problems, but the have been advised to use something called Wireshark - and I cannot install anything on my laptop as it is company provided and access is controlled.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a newbie please?

Thanks.

20 REPLIES 20
Camelface69

Re: New Fibre customer - slow company VPN

Hi there.

I have been with Plusnet for 2 years accessing work through VPN without an issue. As of last Monday the VPN speed is unworkable. Nothing has changed at work and my speed out of the VPN is perfectly normal. Plusnet have given me a static ip to try and sort it but to no avail. Sorry I can't help, just explain my issues but something has had happened at Plusnet recently to change this which they need to acknowledge and deal with.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

@Camelface69, that's interesting (and potentially useful) that yours was working perfectly well then suddenly changed, I can't offer any solutions or suggestions but I can ask, in case it helps to identify the cause of the issue: Do you know what type of VPN you are using?  I know some routers have issues with certain 'tunneling protocols' ( if that's even the correct terminology) but, unless your router has had a recent firmware update that possibility can be dismissed.

@amd, do you know what type of VPN you're using?  It's most likely that your company's IT people will be familiar with Wireshark and may even be happy to install it for you.

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Echoing @w23 here, but it'd be good to know which VPN client/endpoint you are using.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
amd

Thanks @w23 & @MattyC for your input.

The VPN client is, Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client and it connects to the company network in Munich.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The VPN client is, Cisco AnyConnect

That could either be using SSL or IPSec, I guess you probably won't know which, since it's preconfigured by your IT people. I think it most commonly uses SSL.

It'll be interesting to see what VPN client camelface69 is using.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

amd

Not sure if it's relevant but under the Transport > Protocol subheading in the statistics screen (in the VPN software) it shows: DTLS

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks, that's useful information. DTLS is a derivation of SSL.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Camelface69

Hi and apologies for the late reply.

I'm using Cisco Systems VPN Client...been on today and still unworkable Sad
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Hmmm, that does sound like the same client as amd. Can you possibly check the Transport protocol as well ?

Strange that it had been working fine and just recently started to go slow!.

@MattyC, any possibility that this is a traffic classification issue related to the new network ?

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Neither @amd or @Camelface69 are on the new network, which rules it out.

I'll ask around on this one and see if I can get any information.

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks Matty.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Fix

There were some DTLS/VPN signature updates rolled last Thursday (19th) but that seems to be after the above problems were reported.

@amd @Camelface69, are you still experiencing problems?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks Bob

amd

Thanks for the update @bobpullen 

Everything seems much quicker now so whatever you've done has worked.

Thank you all for your help Smiley