cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre customer looking for advice!

Sadiro
Dabbler

New Fibre customer looking for advice!

So, Im new, obviously, Hello everyone :).
im basically looking for advice, now please bare with me, im not the most technically minded out there, i do understand the basics, but regardless, bare with me.
So - Just had fibre installed on Friday, not going to lie, it went smooth as silk, engineer arrived, there was already a mastersocket in this house (not in the best location, but still...), anyways, Engineer removed the faceplate, done the noise test, passed with flying colours, he installed the new faceplate, handed him the PN router + hub that came with it (The one with 4 Ethernet slots) - Set it up, wallah, i now have fibre.
First thing i done, as most normally would i imagine, was run a speedtest, i was told, my line was an expected "40mb" - Thats fine, done a test using ethernet "normal cat5, no twisted wire, no cat6, just basic Ethernet wire that came with...." i scored 35 / 19.
Im currently on Channel 11 on my router too...
Now this too me, was a revelation, im connected FTTC - Engineer says the cabinet is literally less than 100 yards from my house just down the lane, and all is/was well.
So, ill try keep everything as simple as possible, but i wont skimp on any details.
My girlfriend - has her PC setup downstairs, right under the router, so shes connected wired.
My pc - and my brother in law's pc, are upstairs, connected by "Wireless belkin adapters"  (F5D9050 Belkin Wireless G Plus MIMO USB is mine) - (BELKIN Wireless G+ USB Adapter F5D7051 is his...) - Now i understand these adapters are old, they only go upto a capacity of 54mbps, so i wasnt expecting much - ran a test on both, My pc scored 17mb download / 19 upload  - His scored 23mb download / 18 upload.
Now keep in mind, his computer is obviously closer, due to the location of his room, hes practically right above the router itself, so i expected him to get a lil more.
Now here is where my questions , concerns and help is needed.
I want any and every advice possible, to ensure i get the MOST, out of my fibre.
I will provider everything possible, from router settings, infrastructure channels , GHZ on router capabilities, etc etc.
What i want help on, is properly setting everything up - AND/OR - recommendations on hardware to help me succeed more on gaining the best of what i can.
Why?
Were ALL gamers/streamers, heavy down-loaders  like everyone else.
So....
Where do i begin?
Help me configure G.INP / Proper router setup / best router / Test examples and the proper sites/tools to use to get those examples: E.g BT broadband tester etc / Profile Nudge / Tests on my line to make sure theres no faults,kinks or noise, the works.

Currently, im getting rid of the Wireless network adapters, and i have currently ordered a pair off these (TP-LINK PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter Starter Kit- Twin Pack) - I figured connecting by powerline adapter, is probably going to be less messy, and alot better than the wireless im currently using, as im HOPING - if i understand correctly, theres a chance ill get past the 54mbps connection, hopefully increasing my speeds a little.
*Quick update* - Ive just spent the last 8 hours reading these forums at work, trying to catch up with everything, terms, acronyms, problems & resolutions and general advice from others*
Ill keep editing this page over the next hour - with my current speeds from both wired + wireless "Providing pictures this time" - ill run a BT broadband checker test in 10minutes, to give you a proper understand of what my expected line can hold etc.
But any help is appreciated right now, as im currently in the honey moon period, i understand the speeds can fluctuate over the next 10 days (Although i was under the impression FTTC doesnt do that whole 10 day trial speed period testing my lines reliability etc).
Thanks again guys!
*Quick update* - My wireless, is now currently going from 0.93mb down / 0.78 up*
Can barely even load a webpage.
*ok both computers upstairs, are gaining 0.9mb down / 0.7 up - Ethernet pc is currently getting 31mb down / 18 up*
EDIT: - I should probably add, im currently on Plusnet Fibre extra "70+mb connection" - with plusnet pro attached.

I have attached below, my BT broadband checker and i also just ran a quick speedtest on MY PC , with the wireless adapter.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4367019600 - Strange.
2:22am EDIT - http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4367218559 - Wireless Belkin 54mbps...
25 REPLIES 25
keyholder
Grafter

Re: New Fibre customer looking for advice!

What was the speedtest result of your GF pc via lan ?Huh
Youll want a decent Wireless N router something like  an ASUS AC66U if u wanna use wireless allround.
Do a speedtest from here instead and do a further diagnostics and enter you phone number. - http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ << this test will also tell you what profile your line is on.  
If you have 2 green bars for up and download you should be ok.
power adapters should cure your problem of lack of speed, id just set up a switch at the pc end of the adapters to then allow the Pn router / modem to issue ips.
Yes, fiber doesnt need the whole 10 day adsl [Censored] that companys still tell you about. the DLM is more or less done within 24 - 48 hours.
If youre heavy downloaders then maybe a suggestion of a file server setup is a good idea shared over lan ?
The graph attached below should be how yours looks , obviouslyh with your speeds you are expecting..
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Your wired speeds suggest you are on 40/20 and not 80/20. What is your current line speed (login required)?
Regarding wireless, there are a number of things that affect the speed. You may need to change the channel to get a good speed (what channel were you using previously?). Routers usually default to 1, 6 or 11 depending on brand. I tend to use 13. Also, wireless "rule of thumb" is that throughput is about 50% of the specified rate, as it only transmits or receives and there are overheads for error detection/correction, so 20 to 23Mbps over 11g is in the "good" range. The lower speeds at a later (busier) time could be interference from nearby routers on the same or a near (+/- 2) channel.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Sadiro
Dabbler

Brilliant guys!
GF's pc - Averages between 35-37mb down / 18-19mb up
Im currently paying for the 70+ mb package, only because, i was skeptical about them telling me my line could ONLY hold 40mb, but considering the BT tests, state my line is averaging over 45 - 65mb, i figured theres more to be made.
Ok so...just done a speed test both wireless + wired through the btwholesale, and also run a diagnostics.
The first attachment, is from wireless.
Second one is wired.

So clearly i was right, there is a problem here.
Im getting nomore than 35mbps now days on wired, and thats suggesting im getting or can get anywhere upto 50-65mbps.
It states theres a fault and i should raise a fault issue with PN, so will any PN advisers actually come in here, and pick it up for me?
Or do i have to go through the manual task of raising a fault myself?

keyholder
Grafter

Well according to your graph your line should be able to do 42Mb min.
Ermm i dont get how u have a higher uplaod speed when wireless than when wired 😕 
As your wired graph shows you are getting a  good 60Mb.  maybe you have some line issues.
Youll probably have to wait for some staff to piick up the thread and check your line .
Interesting to see you say that you were  told your line can only do 40 Mb when btwholesale  tells u differently,  .. My point is my line is also capable of 56mb  but told i can only get 40Mbit now i only get 32Mb yet touched 38mbit with sky..
Hmmmm
Sadiro
Dabbler

Exactly my thoughts on the issue.
I done extensive testing + homework before i even chose PN, i went through all the proper barriers, testing results, and i was so sure, my line alone, could handle upto 65, when i told the staff this at PN - the girl was so determined on proving, my line is only going to receive 40mb.
I told her, "Well regardless, can i still op to take out the plusnet unlimited extra bundle, just incase my line can actually handle more, and im not totally limited to just 40mb" - She says yeah thats fine, but your line should only get 40.
Whats annoying, is that in a sense, she was right - cause my test speeds even on wired, never go past 40mb, usually sits around 35, i even ran downstairs, ran a quick speedtest, and got 36 down / 19 up again.
Im sure theres definitely a fault somewhere on this line, and im not receiving the full potential that it can handle.

So - yeah, glad im getting it more verified towards my thoughts on the matter, just hope someone at staff can pick this up for me!
Thanks alot though for the advice and help, much appreciated.

EDIT - Im currently running on channel 11
- Wireless test
  -  Wired test
Sadiro
Dabbler

Any staff able to clarify on all this?
Seems theres a bit of a problem on my line.
lf2k
Grafter

Sorry - not staff, but maybe some of this will help?
It looks like your line is really doing ~60Mbps downloads (this is the number shown to the right of your download speed).  This will be (roughly) what you're syncing at.
You can see the speed that plusnet thinks you're syncing at by going to the Members Centre, clicking on Connection Settings, then on "High-speed broadband" - it'll show you something like this:
Telephone number:
01362xxxxxx
Phone exchange:
xxxxxxx
Estimated line speed:
50Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2015-04-26 21:28:20
Current line speed:
48.6 Mb

My current line speed is 48.6, and I know my modem is synced at 50231Kbps - what number do you see there?
It sounds like you're using a modem (is it a Huawai or an ECI modem?) with the plusnet router.
The plusnet router is nothing special - so you might want to change that for something better.  I picked up a TP-Link C2 Archer for 50 quid out of PCWorld (yuk!) and this works real well, other people will suggest other routers but I guess it comes down to whether you want to spend a load of cash on it or not.
I guess the biggest thing you can do is to unlock your modem and then run modem stats - this'll help you get info that you can then use to get plusnet to raise a fault (if needed).  You'll need to know which modem you have in order to log your connection stats properly.
If I'm completely honest, I don't think the issue is your fibre connection, I think you've got a problem on your home network.  The powerline adapters are a bit rubbish and can cause issues - I stopped using them ages back because I thought they were unreliable.
Obviously, when you run your speedtests (both wired and wireless) you'll need to make sure no-one else is using the network - if (for example) your brother is streaming or torrenting when you're trying to test things it'll mess up your numbers.
Aside from the plusnet router, do you have any other routers or switches on your network?  (do the powerline adapters plug in to the back of the plusnet router).
lf2k
Grafter

Sorry - meant to add a bit more detail about Powerline adapters...
The Belkin adapters you've got will get nowhere near the 54Mbps speed - perhaps about half that.
Like Wifi, that's shared - so if you and your brother are using them at the same time that'll affect your speed.
On top of this you mention that the bedrooms are upstairs and the router is downstairs - upstairs and downstairs are usually on a different electrical circuit (which won't help your speed - you'd get better speed if the router and powerline adapters were all on the same electrical circuit).
Finally, depending on how old your flat/house is, how old your wiring is, whether you've got neighbours real close (that might also have the adapters), you're going to have lots of things that affect the speeds on your PCs upstairs.
A decent dual band wifi router could be a lot faster - especially if you stick your PCs on 5Ghz and leave phones/tablets/other things on 2Ghz... but nothing is going to be as fast as running a proper ethernet cable to the router.
Hope some of this helps...  Smiley
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Assuming you have a Android/iphone in the house, download from the Play/appstore a wifi tester and then walk around the house checking the WiFi signal and strength. It will also highlight the WiFi noise from your neighbours
On Android use the free app Wifi Analyzer by farproc and you will see how good or bad the signal is in the various rooms.
You may have to buy a better router and even new usb WiFi adaptors if you really want the top speed. I bought a Archer C5 which has AC1200  and a AC1200 usb WiFi adaptor to get the most out of my connections. The inbuilt Wifi on the laptop wouldn't speed test at more than 32Mbps and often was lower.
If you can, if may be better to run CAT6 cables to the various computers.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I've no real idea how good these are but must be a significant step up from the PN router in terms of Wi-Fi and looks a very reasonable price: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251831472865?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
lf2k
Grafter

...and this is what I've got for a few quid more: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-C2-Wireless-Gigabit-Storage/dp/B00K0MJ8DS
Kind of the same thing, but faster lan ports.
Either would be a massive improvement over the plusnet router! Smiley
dick:quote
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Thanks lf2k, that gives a couple of 'good value' upgrade possibilities for people to consider.
@Sadiro, WiFi 'G' (54Mbps) will rarely give real-world results much better than you are seeing, it is a relatively old standard which has now been surpassed by significantly faster standards far better suited to FTTC line speeds.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Sadiro
Dabbler

Thanks for the advice guys, in all honesty speaking.
My wireless configuration etc, seems flawless enough too merit a strong stable connection, no drops, no packet loss, no dips, no signal loss or anything, full 5 bars - heavy signal, 54mbps connection (Due to obviously being limited by the adapter itself).
Im guessing it is a case of - Switching to a more powerful router, i used to use a linksys router before, old version on my other house + connection, and always seen improvement.
I was just making sure that it is my end, networking end, and not PN's end, cause it is strange i mean.....everything seems setup fine, router/modem - wired/wireless.
I done all the tests from BB chcker, speedchecks, and everything passed out- all but that one up the top that stated i should be getting upto 60mb+ - but yet im only getting 35 constantly, even done a speed test there just now on wired, i shut ALL other devices off to make sure no interference etc, and still....  35mb down / 18 up.
Now im doing a wireless test with my pc upstairs.

I can defo see, that the speeds are starting to balance out now, compared to previous tests where i would ALWAYS get more upload than download on wireless.
So in all honesty - am i wasting my time using these powerline adapters, oh and btw....
Phone exchange:
CROFTFOOT
Estimated line speed:
45Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2015-05-18 15:11:53
Current line speed:
40 Mb.......

again, mixed results.
BT say i should be getting upto 65 - This states ill get nomore than 45.
Just out of curiosity, im using the default Router + modem PN supplies you with, but the router settings themself, are pretty basic + limited, is there a way to check if im actually enabled on 5ghz through the router settings? I dont see any option for SSID- or to enable from 2.4 / 5ghz etc.
Wi-Fi Name (SSID): Base
Channel: 11
Wi-Fi Mode: 802.11 b/g/n (upto 300mbps)
Security:   WPA2
WPS: Enabled
These are the current settings im sitting on.

EDIT    Wired test  im still capped on 35.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

The router is only 2.4Ghz as confirmed here https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135846.msg1190752.html#msg1190752 by Plusnettony
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT