cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre connection, is this normal?

Zoidster
Grafter

New Fibre connection, is this normal?

Hi,  I switched from Sky to PlusNet two days ago (Weds).  I was getting around 36mb on Sky, and PlusNet estimated 76-80mb. 

Initially the connection was very fast, and started off at a speed test of 80mb!  This seemed to settle down towards 50mb on second day which disappointed me a little, but I assumed this was line management and that the speed would eventually settle a bit higher.

Then today, I have done several speed tests and not seen one above 20mb.  trawling through the support pages on here I found on link that told me my line connection was 21mb Sad  

Is this to be expected on a new fibre connection? I know speed is supposed to fluctuate for the first 10 days, but this seems very slow? and more of a drop than a fluctuation? 

I have raised a query with support and am awaiting a response.

16 REPLIES 16
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: New Fibre connection, is this normal?

I'm just looking into this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Zoidster
Grafter

Thank you,  just to add, I have just bought 3 new PC's and it appears they have all updated, along with a bit of Netflix this has used 32GB aleady!  Is it possible this has contributed to my woes? 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

A profile on our end was set incorrectly which was the cause.

If you reboot your router the speeds will increase.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Zoidster
Grafter

Thanks very much, that's put it straight back up to 51mb

Amazing Customer service,  thank you very much Matthew!  much appreciated.

Zoidster
Grafter

I just want to be sure everything is working as it should, is 50mb really the best I can get on this line?  I find it strange as when I first connected my sync speed was 79mb and I initially saw results in that region - Now the BT Wholesale test thing say that 54mb is the maximum possible speed on this line  - Yet if I look on BT Infinitys sales page it predicts a speed of 65-80mb with a guaranteed minimum of 57mb for my line.  (Plusnets estimate was 76-80mb) 

I suppose I am feeling a little buyers remorse as one of the products I turned down was the BT base product, which offers up to 52mb. 

My previous product from Sky was the 38mb one, and I saw 36mb, so I'm not sure why there is suddenly such loss now?  

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

How are you testing, wired or wireless? and with what? Posting details from the Helpdesk page under troubleshooting on the router will help see what is going on. Hide your username and ssid

Zoidster
Grafter

Capture.JPG

Speed tests have been done with the BT Wholelsale test thing with my laptop plugged into the router, and with the router plugged into the test socket.  

I'm not quibbling about a few mb,  as I see the router is saying nearly 56mb here which is a little better. 

Mustrum
Community Veteran

The attenuation looks quite high, suggesting you are some distance from the cabinet, you could also he a noisy line, which DLM has reduced the speed to gain reliability. Any likely sources of noise between you and the cabinet?

Zoidster
Grafter

Thanks for the replies! 

If the cabinet is where I think it is, its about 300m by road, and about 150m as the crow flies. (is there any way to tell for sure? I can post a pic from Google maps if that helps?)   And no, there is nothing I could imagine could be interfering,  its a purely residential area and there are no electrical installations or anything I can think of.  

Screenshot_2016-06-08-15-09-07.png  

If it was noise or interference, wouldn't this have been present on the Sky 38mb product too?  

Mustrum
Community Veteran

You could enter your phone number in the https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ which will show your cabinet number, then there another site which will show where it is - you may have to google that one.

The noise would not affect your 38Mb service, you are synching at higher than that, and so its the higher speeds that will be impacted, and could be what is stopping you get 78Mb.

Zoidster
Grafter

Thanks very much,  I found the other site, and that is indeed my cabinet ( Herne Bay, Cabinet 11).  

I pass it every day when I walk the dog around the block,  I can give it a friendly tap with a rubber mallet if anyone thinks that will help? Cheesy

I don't know much about these things but it seems pretty close to me? 

Zoidster
Grafter

Capture1.JPG

Is the 52mb relevant here?  Or is it just coincidence that my connection speed is the same as the BT cheaper 'slower' service max?

nigelmercier
Grafter

Why the secrecy about the Cabinet Lookup

Zoidster
Grafter

Well, hey! Turns out I don't have any problems at all.  (according to plusnet that is) 

Having been seduced away from my previous 36mb service  by an estimate of 74-80mb, I am now paying for that service and receiving (at best 50mb) which I could have got as standard on BT.  

Any other industry in the would would call this a mis-sell.  Would Plusnet be happy with 60% of the bill?  I think we both know the answer to that,  

Well done, you got me.