cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre below expectations

rotka

New Fibre below expectations

Hi there! I had my fibre installed last week. I took 80/20 package since the estimated line speed was 50Mbps. However since I was connected speeds are between 29/6 (most of the times) and 32/1 (yes, upload was horrible when the download increased a bit...). BT DSL checker for my line shows 33/8 as my lowest rates (FTTC Range B, Low) so it looks like I am on the worst end of the spectrum. Any reason why? Is there still a chance it will pick up? Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New Fibre below expectations

assuming those speeds are wired and not wireless - if from a speed test - then it won't so you need to raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@rotka
Sorry to hear your speeds are below the estimate.
I've tested the line and I can't see any reason for this as there is no DLM banding applied to your line.
As Oldjim has advised the next step would be to raise a fault.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
rotka

Thanks Guys! I did report the fault. Cheers!
rotka

OK, so I had a engineer visit today. He checked everything and said that the cable between my house and the cabinet is an aluminium one and that is the reason for my poor speeds. He then hooked me to a distribution point at my neighbour house and the speeds picked up a little (to 32/9) however when he did test it with his equipment the download was showing at 42. He said it is probably because of my router (RT-N66U)...
So when he left I did some tests. I did connect the modem directly to my laptop and used the PPPoE connection under Windows 7 to rule out my router. This what regular BT speed test shown:

I proceeded further and tested with the speedtest@speedtest_domain username and it shown this:

Why the difference in speeds? And about that alu line: can anything be done about this?
Thanks!
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The profile on our end hadn't increased.
I've done that now and if you log into your router and disconnect then reconnect you'll pick up the new profile.
Your actually syncing at 53mbps so I'm not sure where the engineer got 42mbps from.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
rotka

Great, I'm getting better speeds now, thank you very much! 50/10. Anything more that that would need to be on a copper cable, right? How likely is it to have one any time soon?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Unfortunately it's very rare aluminium gets replaced I'm afraid.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
rotka

No worries. Thanks for your help! My speed hit the estimate so I am satisfied. Cheers!
rotka

Hi, It's me again. Smiley My speed fallen down to 42/8 since yesterday or so and the BT speedtest shows I'm on 44.59 Mbps profile whereas plusnet account broadband speed page shows Current line speed: 51.6 Mb. Is there a reason why it went down? I had a 2nd (business) line installed on Fri at my house, could that be connected? Thanks!
rotka

Today my speed fell down to 39/7
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Our tests are showing you as syncing at 47mbps.
Can you run the BT Speedtest again?
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team