Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre Install Speeds

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

New Fibre Install Speeds

Hi, I just wondered if this looked about right for a new 40/20 fibre install?
~38Mb down, ~18Mb up.
16 REPLIES 16
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New Fibre Install Speeds

it looks wonderful and you would get a much better download speed if you go onto the 80/20 package but then again why pay more if you really don't need it
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Great 🙂 Everything does seem nice and nippy now.

Would I be right in thinking there's no way to access the stats on the Openreach modem as they have locked it down? Was just interested in my synch stats.
tonycollinet
Grafter

You'd be right. Some bt modems can be hacked - but mine can't - or at least, not easily
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The only way to check the downstream is via the BT Speedtest - Further diagnostics IP profile x 1.033 approx for the upstream there isn't
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Ok, fair enough.

I have to say I wasn't impressed with the 'engineer install' They weren't BT, instead a sub-contractor by the look if it. All they wanted to do was plug in the Openreach modem and connect it to my PlusNet router and leave as quick as possible. It took some persuading to get my old master socket replaced with a new one as pictured in the leaflet that came with the fibre modem. I've wanted to get rid if that old thing for a while. They felt it wasn't necessary and that the old one could be left still using the filter. Also they didn't seem to know or couldn't be bothered answering anything about what I asked them. If that's all the 'engineer install' should consist of I would imagine it would be fine to just send the customer both the modem and the router and ask them to plug them in and connect them together with a LAN cable. Surely anyone can do that bearing in mind the PlusNet router sets itself up when it's connected to the Openreach modem.
timfibre
Dabbler

Hi Woodm.
I would like those speeds. I'm on 80/20 unlimited fibre extra and only get 32Mb download but I do get on average, 19Mb upload.
I've raised a ticket for them to check my line and speed so hopefully it'll improve  :-\.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@timfibre
I'm sorry to hear that your having issues with your speeds. You appear to have started our troubleshooter but not gone through all the steps.
If you can complete that our faults team will get that looked into for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
timfibre
Dabbler

Hi Matthew.
Yeah i'll be looking in to it tonight, been without computer for a week or so. Will do the checks and get back to you.
Cheers.
timfibre
Dabbler

Hi Matthew.
Sorry but I can't find what steps i'm  to do next?? It just says the support team will get back to me. Can you shed any further light on the situation?Huh
Many Thanks.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

You should be able to see them if you click here
https://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
carlmagic
Grafter

Quote from: woodm
Great 🙂 Everything does seem nice and nippy now.

Would I be right in thinking there's no way to access the stats on the Openreach modem as they have locked it down? Was just interested in my synch stats.

Depends on which modem it is, If its the Huwaaiiiiii one then yes its just pressing the restart button down while it boots up connecting a PC to the LAN2 port and uploading different firmware to it, its that simple. You can then connect lan 2 to one of your routers LAN ports so you can monitor it like that. If its an ECI modem however your out of luck Sad
If you have the huwaiiiii one then google unlocking it and you will get loads of results Smiley
southerner
Aspiring Pro

@carlmagic Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it looks like I got the ECI one going on a Google. Oh well.
southerner
Aspiring Pro

So it seems I do infact need the Pro addon even with FTTC if I want to do anything constructive with my service of an evening. For the few hours I was without it it was like walking through treacle from about 6pm.
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Also why does the PlusNet fibre router insist you type your admin password manually every time you want to go into the ACP? The ADSL one didn't, that remembered it through your browser.