cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre Install Slow Speed

drewan187

New Fibre Install Slow Speed

Hi,
I had my line upgraded to fibre yesterday, and although i live quite far from the exchange, i was told by plusnet that i would get up to 76Mb. I opted for the 40Mb package, and was told that i would get a solid 40Mb.
My speed prior to upgrading ranged from between 4-6Mb, and having performed speed checks and using the Plusnet online portal, my current speed is still between 4-6Mb.
I'm obviously not happy, as i was told i'd be getting much higher speeds, and i am paying a premium price for effectively the same service.
Am i missing something here?! I received a text saying my order is now complete, but my speed is still the same as before Sad
Drewan
20 REPLIES 20
Den1
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: New Fibre Install Slow Speed

My guess is that things have not been updated at plusnet side, you might need to give them a nudge.
drewan187

I did speak with a guy on the chat yesterday, and he implied that may be the case, but that it would be completed before the end of the day (yesterday). That's why i assumed it was sorted once i got the text saying it was completed.
Do plusnet technical support view these forums? I'm about to start work, and havent really got time to ring the support line!!
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Hopefully one of the CRT guys will spot this and do the necessary.
Edited for typo.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
tj47

I, also, have slow speeds after update from ADSL to FTTC fibre broadband.
My new Open Reach Modem and connection was made 27 hours ago by BTOR engineer. I have just conducted a second BT speed test.
The maximum download speed so far is only 4.68 mbs. Upload = 1.83mbs.
I assume that this slowness is due to some delinquency at the PlusNet end.
Advice would be appreciated.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

For both posters on here
Check current line speed - link in my sig
drewan187

My current line speed is 5.9Mb
drewan187

Quote from: tj47
I, also, have slow speeds after update from ADSL to FTTC fibre broadband.
My new Open Reach Modem and connection was made 27 hours ago by BTOR engineer. I have just conducted a second BT speed test.
The maximum download speed so far is only 4.68 mbs. Upload = 1.83mbs.
I assume that this slowness is due to some delinquency at the PlusNet end.
Advice would be appreciated.

Hi TJ,
How far away from the exchange are you?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is not relevant - it is the distance to the cab which controls the speed
However we still need the Current Line Speed and BT speed test further diagnostics to check
If the current line speed is the problem (much less than the IP profile) use Chat to get it fixed
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@drewan187
I've sorted that out, can you test again when you're able.

@tj47
Everything is set correctly on your account, if you don't see an improvement please ensure you're testing over a wired connection.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
drewan187

Hi Chris,
I have checked on the Portal and it states my current speed as 37Mb.
Will check my actual speed when i get home from work.
Thanks for looking into this for me Smiley
tj47

Hi Chris, Have just repeated the Speed Test. Results were download 4.54 mbs. upload 1.83 mb,  ping latency 29.25. So no improvement.
My BT modem is connected to the new master socket with a short wired link. The modem is connected to the plusnet router via short Ethernet cable. The router is connected to my PC via another short internet cable. No wireless/wifi involved.
All lights on both modem and router seem correct.
Performed hard reset of all hardware, including router and modem, before conducting speed test.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: tj47
Performed hard reset of all hardware, including router and modem, before conducting speed test.

Can you try that again with the router but leave it off for 30 seconds? We're not seeing the connection drop yet ( 22:54:17 (on going)_
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
tj47

Hi Chris. 
Did a good long power-down of the router and modem. Test result 37.05mbs download speed. Which is amazing. In fact I am finding it difficult to believe, so ran it again (download = 36.84 mbs).  Thank you for your help. 
Out of interest. What happened between the previous hard reset (which I believe was over 30 secs)  and test and this latest one?
drewan187

Hmm my speeds are still 5.9Mb....
Not happy!