cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre Install - Great download, Poor upload speeds. - Please advise

deathtrap
Grafter

Re: New Fibre Install - Great download, Poor upload speeds. - Please advise

in you 1st post you made reference to kelly com's who performed the FTTC install, a clue here is the name Kelly's we don't really have to say much more, they will of somehow borked the install and thats why you have this problem now, Tell plusnet to get an engineer out to correct kelly's cock up
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

I have no idea where Plusnet get their line length info from because it's way off even if it's estimated,  no way is it over 500m with a sync of 76Mb, i'm at 480m and getting 46Mb down 7Mb up but that's mostly down to the my line and the area i'm in being all ali and dying a slow death and i'm guessing maybe some cross talk on top to boot, I had 65Mb down 12Mb up when i first joined Plusnet back in 2014 and watched it drop over time to my current level.
Thetwohoughs
Grafter

Cheers for the replys guys, and happy new year to you all.
Still no response to the Details I added to the Fault Report ticket @ lunch time on Wednesday, and still no reply from a tech on here.
"Plusnet, we'll do you proud"   Undecided
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

Quote from: Terranova667
I have no idea where Plusnet get their line length info from because it's way off even if it's estimated,  no way is it over 500m with a sync of 76Mb, i'm at 480m and getting 46Mb down 7Mb up but that's mostly down to the my line and the area i'm in being all ali and dying a slow death and i'm guessing maybe some cross talk on top to boot, I had 65Mb down 12Mb up when i first joined Plusnet back in 2014 and watched it drop over time to my current level.
According to Plusnet tech my line is over 600 meters, yet i traced it to the cab and measured it myself and it was 450ish meters.
Thetwohoughs
Grafter

Nightstalker, Our line is 550 metres from the Cab, measured via Google Earth.
Still no reply to my Fault Ticket, and still no reply from Plusnet on here.

I'm beginning to lose my patience now, a simple reply explaining the delay would suffice.
mav:csa
Estragon
Rising Star

Be aware that adding information to a ticket puts it back to the end of the queue.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

no it doesn't - that was fixed ages ago
Terranova667
Pro

Quote from: Thetwohoughs
Nightstalker, Our line is 550 metres from the Cab, measured via Google Earth.

No it's not as i said in my previous post for a sync of 76Mb the line would not be any where near 500m never mind over it, don't use google earth to measure because that does not show where the line is going to the cab that's what matters, for a sync of 76Mb you would be closer to 200m maybe even less.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

@Terranova667, I can't agree that you'd need to be 100-150m from the cabinet to get 76Mb(/s).
I'm over 400m from my cabinet as the crow flies, I can follow the actual line route (series of manhole covers in pavement/verge) and the actual length is at least 450-500m and my current sync is 76241 kbit/s - probably helped by G.INP (Huawei Cabinet)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Terranova667
Pro

yeah 100 -150m is a little off lol, but my point still stands i found graph that was released that showed the drop off at the various distances 76mb is closer to 300-350M give or take, i'm at 480m and got 65Mb when i first was connected which is about right based on the graph , the Graph is dated for 2013 so 3 years old but would still apply some what i would have thought.
i dunno maybe things have changed and you can get more with longer distances now as you say G.INP can help with that a little
http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance
Thetwohoughs
Grafter

Engineer now booked, I can assure you the line is 550 mtrs, as I've walked it with the dog and followed it back to the cab  Smiley
Thetwohoughs
Grafter

Engineer has been, the line has tested out fine on his Box/Checker. No issues with any wiring or master socket, DLM also reset.
Download sync of around 72,000
Upload sync of around 8,800  
He thinks that BT have the line set to favour download over upload, and says that upload speed is never guaranteed, despite the BT ADSL Checker showing an estimate of 16.4 upload for this telephone number. All in all I'm rather confused!

UPDATE 1:21PM - Just seen a chap from BT Openreach outside the house going up a pole, he tells me that the main line feeding our house (and many others down this lane) has been rubbing against the tree and caused the wires to chaff through, the line will be replaced some time in the near future, maybe this is causing me the poor upload?
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Thetwohoughs
He thinks that BT have the line set to favour download over upload

I am no expert but that sounds like BS to me.
Thetwohoughs
Grafter

I'm a farmer Jafreer, it reminded me of something bull related  Grin
Terranova667
Pro

BT can set either speed or stability but it effects both download and upload not one or the other, so yeah the Engineer either didn't have a clue or was telling you BS to not do anything further.
as for the line it could be the reason maybe see when the line gets replaced if that fixes it whenever that will be.