cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre Install - Great download, Poor upload speeds. - Please advise

Thetwohoughs
Grafter

Re: New Fibre Install - Great download, Poor upload speeds. - Please advise

Here are a few of the stat grabs, is there anything in particular that you guys need to look at?
Router Stats >> http://pastebin.com/M0b3csv1 << Text format.
Thanks once again for all the help, It's greatly appreciated.
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

Half of your tones on the upstream seem to be completely dead, the ones that are working seem low, if you haven't already send in a fault report.
Hi BTW fellow OcUKer.
Thetwohoughs
Grafter

Ahoy there fellow OcUKer!
How do I go about sending in a fault report? I don't understand any of these stats to be honest!
dick:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Actually everything below 180 seems dead
This is what mine looks like on a longer line length
Fault report here https://faults.plus.net
Thetwohoughs
Grafter

Thanks, Is it best to wait until Monday for one of the techies to see this thread? Or do I report now?  Smiley
dick:quote
gromittz
Grafter

Report the fault now.
You'll probably have to do that anyway so it can be logged in the system and followed up.
Thetwohoughs
Grafter

I'd like to try and raise this one manually via a phone call with plusnet or discussion with an advisor on here to be honest. I can't run the PPOE test from my pc as my Ethernet cable won't reach into the room where the modem is, and the next question asks me "Do you lose connection at specific times?"
The answers for this are... "My connection drops randomly or My connection drops at regular times" of which it does neither, as it has currently been holding a DSL connection for well over 24 hours!
What I don't understand about this whole upload issue, is that If the line is capable of delivering me 74mbps download, then it's more than capable of shoving 20mbps back up the line, so the line can't be at fault? It must surely be a product issue, or IP Profile as mentioned by Nedludd  Undecided
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Thetwohoughs
If the line is capable of delivering me 74mbps download, then it's more than capable of shoving 20mbps back up the line, so the line can't be at fault? It must surely be a product issue, or IP Profile as mentioned by Nedludd  Undecided

I don't think you can assume that because the line supports 74 Mbps down, but only 9 Mbps up, that it must be a product fault or IP profile issue. I am not saying that it definitely isn't a product fault, but I don't think it is necessarily the case.
For example, if there was a narrow band of interference at the upstream frequencies, then this could explain the issue.
I think raising it as a fault is definitely the right way to go.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Just a thought, you mention testing from the master socket, which contains the filter, have you tried removing the faceplate and testing from the socket? It could be a faulty filter!
Thetwohoughs
Grafter

Jafreer - I can see there is a lot more to FTTC than I can get my head around at the moment, it's not as simple as a hose pipe from the sounds of things  Shocked
Mustrum - I turned the Modem off at 7.30am this morning and replaced the MK3 faceplate with a MK2 faceplate I had spare, the MK2 has increased the upload sync by 100, and dropped sync the download by a couple of thousand, Does this not point towards a faulty filter?
I switched everything back on at 9am, I'm hoping that leaving the connection off for over and hour shouldn't trigger the DLM?
Thetwohoughs
Grafter

I've spoke to a very helpful lady on the Tech Support line who is raising a fault manually for me, the line is provisioned for 80/20, so we'll see what happens next!  Smiley
Thetwohoughs
Grafter

Is anyone able to advise on the current time frame for Line Faults?
It has been seven days since the issue was reported (I understand that Christmas will have slowed things up!) , no calls or emails received as of yet. SNR on the downstream is currently at 4.5db which isn't good!
Thetwohoughs
Grafter

I've just found a reply from 4.30pm today in my Member Center questions section,

Upload speed still seems to be at 9.. do I need to restart the modem for this to resync at 20 upstream?
Thetwohoughs
Grafter

Turned off the modem this morning for an hour and switched back on, Upload sync is still at 9000. What on earth is going on here?  Angry
If a tech on here reading this could reply, I'd be extremely grateful.
Estragon
Rising Star

Just jumping back to where you fitted the Mk2 filter, a difference of 100kbps between sync's is tiny and in fact unusually small. Seeing as you lost a lot of downstream I would replace the Mk3. Always sync during daylight hours.
That reply from Plusnet about the problem is garbage - it is clearly only looking at the downstream, not the upstream which is below the impacted lower limit - as has already been pointed out.