Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre Install - Great download, Poor upload speeds. - Please advise

Thetwohoughs
Grafter

New Fibre Install - Great download, Poor upload speeds. - Please advise

Good Afternoon all,
Kellys communications set our Fibre up yesterday, Plusnet should be supplying us with the 80/20 package, the speeds I'm getting don't match this. Please see below!

BT Wholesale Tester stats >> http://imgur.com/vkq36fA

I'm connected via a BT Openreach HG612 to the master socket with a Billion 7800N connected via the EWAN port.
It looks to me like we aren't on the 80/20 package as the router isn't synced with the cab at 20?  ....I've spoke to Plusnet twice about the issue via the phone, but I'm no closer to finding out why the upload is so slow.
65 REPLIES 65
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: New Fibre Install - Great download, Poor upload speeds. - Please advise

As with all ASDL/VSDL packages the speeds quoted are "up to" and so will depend on how far away you are from the cabinet, and the condition of the wiring in between your master socket and the cabinet, also your internal wiring if you don't have the latest master socket.
Looks to me that you have a good connection.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

It looks to me like we aren't on the 80/20 package as the router isn't synced with the cab at 20?  ....I've spoke to Plusnet twice about the issue via the phone, but I'm no closer to finding out why the upload is so slow.
Your downstream synch is at 80Mb and since AFAIK there isn't any other profile other than 80/20 that will give an 80Mb downstream, it does look like you're on the right package. Having said that, there is something very wrong with your upstream speed!. Given your line length is giving a downstream synch of 80Mb you would expect pretty close to 20Mb up. You are only showing ~9Mb and is doesn't appear to be capped otherwise the SNR margin would be much higher.
You say you're using the HG612 modem, I assume it must be unlocked if you are getting stats from it. I'm not an FTTC expert but it might be worth posting the bitloading graph, it might give some clues for the more expert FTTC people on here.
The other thing, Have you access to another modem or modem/router that you could try ? just to eiiminate that as the cause.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Thetwohoughs
Grafter

Thanks both of you for the replys  Smiley
I expect a 20 upload based on the line prediction, also the neighbour receives 20 and he's slightly further from the cabinet!
Here is my BT ADSL Checked speed estimate >> http://i.imgur.com/yyD95MC.png
I've tested the line with both the Plusnet Hub One, and the Unlocked HG612, both give the same result, albeit a slightly higher upload sync on HG612. Unfortunately I haven't worked out how to view the modem stats via a graph yet, so I'll have to figure that out!
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Are you testing direct from the master socket? Could there be anything locally creating electrical noise? It could be worth switching everything else other that the Hub off and removing any extension wiring/phones.
It could also help if you print off the results in the Help Desk section of the Troubleshooting tab from the Hub.
Thetwohoughs
Grafter

Quote from: Mustrum
Are you testing direct from the master socket? Could there be anything locally creating electrical noise? It could be worth switching everything else other that the Hub off and removing any extension wiring/phones.
It could also help if you print off the results in the Help Desk section of the Troubleshooting tab from the Hub.

I'm connected directly to the master socket via a MK3 faceplate that the Kellys chap installed yesterday.
The master socket is mounted in the spare bedroom window where no electrical appliances are used, and I replaced the extension wiring with a brand new length only last week, this only has one phone plugged in. I'll try and unplug this, but don't want to keep rebooting the modem incase the DLM kicks in and starts dropping my download rate  Cry
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I agree that I would expect your upload to be higher given the download speed. Yes, everything is adaptive, but even so, your upload seems low.
The good thing is that you have an unlocked HG612 which means you can do a bit of your own detective work.
I would start by downloading DSLStats...
http://www.s446074245.websitehome.co.uk/
Once installed, you can see your bitloading graph, signal to noise margins, error rates etc. This will be a good start. Maybe there is some noise wiping out the frequencies used for upload.
There are some really smart people on this forum that can help interpret the data you get from DSLStats so it might be worth posting some data.
Best of luck.
Thetwohoughs
Grafter

I now have DSL Stats up and running on an old XP laptop!
Thank you very much  Smiley
NedLudd
Grafter

As happened to me a long time ago, my profile had been 'adjusted' to 10 up and 80 down!
One of the techies will put it right for you when they see this thread.
It's nowt to do with line length!
Geoff,
York.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Here is my BT ADSL Checked speed estimate >> http://i.imgur.com/yyD95MC.png
That's good, your current upstream is lower than the Impacted low estimate so BT should accept there's a fault if we can find nothing else wrong.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: NedLudd
As happened to me a long time ago, my profile had been 'adjusted' to 10 up and 80 down!

I didn't think PlusNet could control your upload (like they can with your download, where they have their own profile in addition to the BT Wholesale product speed).
If they can, then that could be an explanation, but if they can't, then there would need to be a 10 Mbps profile set at the BT Wholesale end, and I didn't think they had a product capable of 80/10.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

and the OP has reported the sync rates from the HG612 which means it's nothing to do with PlusNet profiles.
as jafeer says, It COULD possibly be a BT screw up and a profile set at 10Mb on the upstream but then I would expect it to sync at much closer to 10Mb and the upstream SNR margin to be much higher.

NedLudd
Grafter

I was referring to this thread. It's taken me a while to find it.  Wink
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,120037.0.html
Geoff,
York.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: NedLudd
I was referring to this thread.

So it is possible. Only clue that it may still not be that however (as has been stated), is that the sync speed should be closer to 10 Mbps (rather than 9025). And the other pointer being that the SNR margin should be higher if there is that headroom for faster speed that is only being limited by the product configuration.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

hmm Plusnet / Btw must of changed their policy since NedLudd had the issue it was dated 2013, because DLM profiles are not treated as faults and reset you have to live with them and wait for DLM to adjust them automatically if it ever does.
if DLM hasn't intervened and the speed is under limits on either up or down then a fault can be raised which looks to be the case here.