Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre Extra - IP profile?

joelmacdonald
Dabbler

New Fibre Extra - IP profile?

Hello! 

I have Fibre Extra, went live 12 days ago and wondered when it would go up to full speed? I know they say 10 days but ran some tests tonight after reading other posts on here and thought it would have been up at the full whack now.

Plus net line estimate
Phone exchange:
INVERURIE
Estimated line speed:
80Mb (This may vary between 70.1Mb and 80Mb) - Checked on 2016-03-11 11:52:24
Current line speed:
41.8 Mb

BT Wholesale speed test came back with this:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 39.06 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps - 44.19 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 44.19 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 7.85Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

From what I've read, am I right in thinking its something to do with the IP Profile?

Am i just being impatient? Give it a few more days? 

9 REPLIES 9
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: New Fibre Extra - IP profile?

@joelmacdonald

On FTTC, there is no 10 day training period (that is an ADSL thing).

It is at maximum speed on day 1 so you are not being impatient as it looks like your estimated speed is at variance to your actual. You need a Plusnet staff member to comment on this further.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
joelmacdonald
Dabbler

Ah good stuff! Thanks for that. Is it do with that IP Profile?

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

The IP Profile is the speed that BTW say the line will max out at and the Plusnet current line speed is slightly less than that.

Your estimate is just that, an estimate. It may be near to the actual speed but sometimes it can be just plain wrong. Only Plusnet can chase BTW as to why the estimate is so out of whack with the current actual speeds. There may hopefully be a fault causing it to be so low so you could try reporting a fault at Open a fault report at Plusnet.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'd definitely suggest following the fault report link @SpendLessTime provided, your line is syncing below where it should be based on the estimates.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
joelmacdonald
Dabbler

Thanks. Will look into logging a fault. Hopefully gets resolved soon.

joelmacdonald
Dabbler

Logged a fault - heard nothing.

Livechat was a roller coaster. First told it was because my order for Extra hadn't been processed, so was passed to provisioning. They told me it was and passed me to tech. Tech checked and it turns out the "supplier" had capped me at 45.

Apparently will be resolved in 24 hours. 

I'm assuming said supplier is openreach? Also getting a replacement router as current one makes a weird buzzing sound if I download anything or run a speediest. Anyone else experienced that?

etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

The weird noise is perfectly normal, so many people have mentioned this. It only happens during 5ghz wifi activity so I've heard
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
joelmacdonald
Dabbler

Ah ok,  sending me a replacement anyway as they want to test the one I have.  

Turns out its not capped at all. My original fault ticket was updated with internal tests. My line isn't capped at all but something is causing it to not go above the 45 mark. Engineer arranged for Saturday. 

A bridge tap has been detected. Fingers crossed they get stressed out trying to fix it and just run me a fibre cable from my house to the exchange, bypassing everything on the way! Smiley

joelmacdonald
Dabbler

So engineer has fitted a new master socket, removing the bridge tap he claims. Still only getting 44 on average. His test said the line would only get 55.

Plusnet still shows my line speed should be 71-80. Not sure which to believe. No update on my ticket since saturday after the engineer left.