cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre Extra Customer - Low maximum data rate

orangewingerpn
Hooked

New Fibre Extra Customer - Low maximum data rate

Hi, I was activated as a Fibre Extra customer last night and I have everything up and running but my download maximum data is a lot lower than I expected. I have moved from a 50Mb BT account to Plus net and my upload speed has increased from 10Mb to 20Mb but it looks like the download speeds haven't moved to the higher speeds. This is the router stats:

6. Data rate:18570 / 33989
7. Maximum data rate:18570 / 39494

My Plusnet Broadband speeds from my account page:

• Product: Unlimited Fibre Extra
  • Estimated Download Range: 50 - 71Mbps
  • Estimated Upload Range: 15 - 18Mbps
  • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 44.5Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 78Mbps

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

13 REPLIES 13
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: New Fibre Extra Customer - Low maximum data rate

Do you have a VDSL filtered master socket, or are you using dangly filters?

orangewingerpn
Hooked

I'm using the dangly filter as supplied with the router, it's plugged into the master socket exactly where the old BT router was (until this morning).

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Try removing the Faceplate and plug the router into the hidden test socket, then redo the sync (DATA) and (Max Data Rate) attainable speeds as above.

orangewingerpn
Hooked

Plugged into test socket and now marginally faster, but I would still expect the max data rate to be at least what I had on BT which was around 50Mb (and given that was the lower speed package where 50 was the max):

6. Data rate: 18790 / 34024
7. Maximum data rate: 18790 / 39591
Mustrum
Community Veteran

I agree, it should be better. Are you using the BT router, or PN one?

If not the BT one, I would try that, you just need to enter your username and password - if its a HH6 they are a lot better than the PN one.

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Also, the SNR margin and line attenuation are useful in this situation (if available), but forget the Max data rate - mine are 87356/29375 !

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
orangewingerpn
Hooked

6. Data rate: 18790 / 34024
7. Maximum data rate: 18790 / 39642
8. Noise margin: 6.2 / 6.1
9. Line attenuation: 23.1 / 17.1
10. Signal attenuation: 22.7 / 17.1
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@orangewingerpn 

You coulsd try using your BT Hub. See here for the setting instructions. Do not plug the DSL cable in until instructed to do so. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

orangewingerpn
Hooked

Okay, the saga continues. I setup the old BT Hub (v5) and got exactly the same speeds, during this time my MacBook was unable to get an IP address from any Wifi router (this may be a red-herring). So deciding to go back to the Plusnet router I plugged it all back on turned it on and now it is stuck on the flashing green light (for hours) and will not respond to a factory reset and I cannot connect to it (over ethernet).

I've gone back to the BT modem for now (they want it back at some point otherwise they charge me apparently), but I assume somehow I've killed the Plusnet router. Anyone know a way to get past constant flashing green light? Incidentally the Mac will now connect to Wifi - I think it's related to something on the router.

The funny thing is that BT wanted me to stay with them and I foolishly decided that Plusnet would be a better option! I've raised a Broadband troubleshooting ticket and hopefully it will get looked at soon.

Baldrick1

On the Plusnet Hub push a paperclip or similar into the reset hole and keep the switch closed for at least 20 seconds. It will go back to the original state as when you got it and reconnect automatically. It might take several minutes.

BT only introduced the condition that you have to return your hub last December so you should be able to keep anything supplied on a contract before then without charge. I suspect that they put the 'might be charged frightener' in to get them back so that they can re-use the unmarked sanples and also to try to stop Smarthub 6s being offered on Ebay, only to be snapped up by Plusnet customers due to their superior performance.

From here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51294395

Since December, BT's contracts have stated that the company retains ownership of the wi-fi routers and TV set-top boxes it sends to customers.

Moderator and Customer

orangewingerpn
Hooked

@Baldrick1 yeah, looks like you're correct - I can keep it after all. However I can't seem to reset the Plusnet router with a paper clip, held it down for a minute and nothing happens 😞

Baldrick1

@orangewingerpn 

It sounds like the Plusnet hub is not booting up for some reason. Weird that you should have this issue and poor download speed. Plusnet should replace this for you.

The Plusnet is a rebadged BTHome Hub 5a with tweeked firmware so you should expect the two to have similar performance.

Out of interest is your phone working? I ask because slow speed can be caused by a break in one of the cores in the phone cable being open circuit.

Moderator and Customer

orangewingerpn
Hooked

Bit of an update: the BT router plugged into the master socket and the sync speed has crept up to 43.5Mbs with the max now set at 43668. Plusnet tech support have updated my ticket and said to wait until the 10 days is up to see if I hit the min speed of 44.5 which I'm not far off now. Bit of a shame if that's the most I get as I was on 50Mbs with BT on the lower package.

What's strange is that when the broadband switched over (2am in the morning) it was immediately such a low speed, wonder if it was something to do with the BT router being plugged in and not being able to connect so it immediately started dropping the speed.

I'm also confused as to how my upload speed is so high (20Mbs), I always assumed there was some connection between your download and upload speeds.