cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre Customer, Do I still need an engineer visit, Hub One Queries

BobRegis
Dabbler

New Fibre Customer, Do I still need an engineer visit, Hub One Queries

My local area has just gone live with Fibre and so I have signed up and have an engineer visit due next week.
Received a message today to say that I will be receiving a Hub One (which I understand to be the old BT Home Hub - arrgggh!).
Will I still need an Engineer visit?
If not, does this need to be plugged into the main socket or can I place it anywhere? I don't have any power supply nearby which is why I was hoping the engineer could have put an extension in?
Does the Hub One mean that there will now only be one item plugged into the wall near the phone socket.
43 REPLIES 43
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: New Fibre Customer, Do I still need an engineer visit, Hub One Queries

You'll still need a engineers visit and yes with the Hub One you'll only have that device connected.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
libbyf
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It would be helpful if the Plusnet updates on installs stated whether the 'engineer visit' was to the home or to the cabinet. As a new customer doing a self install I couldn't tell whether I need to be home or not, and then got contradictory information when I asked on the live chat.
scottymc
Grafter

So the engineer needs to visit the cabinet... And not my home and I don't need to have a day off work ?Huh
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No if your a existing customer and upgrading to fibre a engineer will still need to visit your property.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Gravlock

Is that just to plug it in and switch it on or do they install new NTE with the fibre upgrade?
Could do with knowing so I can clear out under the stairs in advance
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

they will fit the new filtered faceplate
DeltaAlphaBravo
Hooked

Hello,
Sorry I'm a bit confused too (I confess that doesn't take a lot). I've ordered a phone and fibre package, I've been given a date when my phone number is going to be transferred and I've had notification that my plus one router is on it's way. I am switching from another supplier but this house has never had fibre optic broadband installed before.
Should we be expecting an engineer visit?
I can't see anywhere in the order status or any of emails that I've received that an engineer is going to visit. However, I was kind of expecting one to call.

Thanks

Dan
seffles

I'm a bit confused by this too.  I'm upgrading to fibre from adsl and my hub arrived in the post yesterday.  By my understanding the engineer will be visiting the cabinet on the 7th of December and all I need to do is connect the hub to my existing phone socket.  At no point has anyone told me to be home on that day or that an engineer will need to replace my faceplate.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@DeltaAlphaBravo
As you're a new customer your order has been placed as a self install order so no engineer will be visiting your property.
@seffles
Your order is a self install as well.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
DeltaAlphaBravo
Hooked

Thanks for clearing that up; that's great.  Smiley
-Dan
dick:quote
seffles

Thanks, Matthew.  Smiley
scottymc
Grafter

Sorry matt ,
Why is my fibre not a self install like Seffles ?
I'm upgrading from adsl to fibre and you guys have emailed to tell me I'm getting the Hub One ?
Self employed means if I have a day off I don't  get paid  Undecided
Not that I mind if he has to visit.... But would get a bit annoyed if on the 2nd it all gets completed and the guy doesn't even knock on the door !!
Kimberlin
Rising Star

I find this all a bit puzzling, why the need for an Openreach engineer? Two years ago, I dumped TalkTalk after being on their ADSL service. Six months after leaving, I signed up for BT FTTC service, Openreach having only just completed the Fibre and exchange upgrades. I never got a visit from Openreach, they did not come to fit a new faceplate to my BT master socket, they just hoofed out a BT Homehub 5 and I cracked on with a self install.
I understand the new P/N is just a prettier looking Homehub 5 in white. I'm still using the BT Homehub 5 after completing a very easy self install. I've contacted P/N this afternoon and they are sending me return postage paid bags for the kit they sent out just two weeks ago with the promise that I'll eventually be provided with a P/N Hub One router. I want a Hub One router because the BT Homehub is unlikely to receive any future over the air software upgrades as I'm now obviously on P/N.
nickali

Our's was posted out yesterday but we don't know what type.    We're new customers and new to fibre.  Is ours going to be a self-install as well?