Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre Connection; Speed decreasing

RTNI
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: New Fibre Connection; Speed decreasing

What's the fault you can see? That's news to me. I thought that the line was testing ok now after I disconnected the internal wiring and you confirmed this?

Or is the fault you can see a different type of test?

Sorry to be pedantic but are you saying that if the engineer doesn't find a fault then there will be no charge applied? I'm sure you can understand that I don't want to get charged for something that is out of my control.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Your speed is below your estimates. In my opinion, that's enough cause to send an engineer out.

Line speed:

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 19.8 Mbps
Upstream Speed 2.0 Mbps

Estimates:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 39.8 29.8

Sorry to be pedantic but are you saying that if the engineer doesn't find a fault then there will be no charge applied? I'm sure you can understand that I don't want toget charged for something that is out of my control.

We'd apply a charge usually 1-3 months after a fault investigation, based on the end result.

As we're offering to arrange an engineer to further investigate because we can see your connection isn't performing as well as it should be, we won't charge you if the engineer finds no fault. If the situation remained the same, we'd offer to send out another engineer until it is fixed.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RTNI
Rising Star

Thanks for clarify that. I'll reply to the ticket with suitable dates/times for appointment
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems, let us know on here when you've replied.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RTNI
Rising Star

Ticket replied to.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sweet, I'll take a look now.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

We've got Saturday timeslots available next week if it's more convenient?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've booked the appointment for the first date you've chosen.

Let us know how it goes. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RTNI
Rising Star

Thanks for booking that for me on the first date.

Fingers crossed.

I will assume the statement about the £65 charge of no fault found / ground works / internal wiring etc is a generic statement that is added to every type of this reply (given you stated above there will not be a fee)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I will assume the statement about the £65 charge of no fault found / ground works / internal wiring etc is a generic statement that is added to every type of this reply (given you stated above there will not be a fee)

The statement applies still, but bear in mind that your speed is below your line estimates, and if you've plugged your router into the test socket then that bypasses your internal wiring.

There are other aspects of the statement. For example, if you miss the appointment or the Openreach network is damaged by something within your control.

It's worth noting that any engineer fee we pass on to our customers is fraction of the charge we receive from Openreach.

We robustly defend all charges before accepting them and passing them on to you.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RTNI
Rising Star

Internal wiring was disconnected as per post 7 showing the router connected to the top data socket on the faceplate. This removed the cracking and hum on the line. I then traced this cracking and hum to wiring internal to the house which are not used and thus disconnected resulting in a clean line when using a corded phone in the already filtered socket as per post 7.

Let's see what happens on the appointment day. Fingers crossed.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@RTNI To completely eliminate any internal wiring issues you need to connect a separate filter to the hidden socket. From what you have written its not clear that you have eliminated your internal wiring. Just connecting to the top data socket implies you have not removed the faceplate as per the instructions in the troubleshooting guide.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RTNI
Rising Star

can confirm that plugging into the test socket as per pic in post 7 completely removes the internal wiring in the house. This only leaves the main incoming BT line connected through the filtered interim plate.

See attached for pic of the router now connected directly into the master socket pre-DSL filtered plate.
RTNI
Rising Star

Router and phone now connected into the rear test port on the master socket at around 2135hrs. See pic attached. The internal wiring is now disconnected as it was during the test setup in post 7. In my mind that filtered plate is also BTs responsibility as it was them who supplied and fitted it previously.

This is the mircofilter supplied with the Plusnet hub one router.

Downstream syncing at 20.05MB at router according to the stats.

Please retest the line and advise?