Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre Connection; Speed decreasing

notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: New Fibre Connection; Speed decreasing

can confirm that there plugging into the test socket as per picin post 7 completely removes the internal wiring in the house. 

Assuming there is no star wiring.  Where does Plusnet stand in regards to charging with star wiring if this is indeed the case and cause of the fault?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

In my mind that filtered plate is also BTs responsibility as it was them who supplied and fitted it previously.

The demarcation point of responsibility is unfortunately the test socket.

Please retest the line and advise?

If you're seeing the downstream in sync at a slow speed still, we'd better leave the visit booked in.

However, I'll re-run a line test tomorrow when I'm back in the office.

Assuming there is no star wiring.

From looking at the type of socket they have, I'd say the possibility of star wiring is unlikely, as there's generally no master socket or rather that type of Openreach socket.

Where does Plusnet stand in regards to charging with star wiring if this is indeed the case and cause of the fault?

I don't think we do charge for star wiring. About 6 months ago, my parents had a star wiring problem rectified by an Openreach engineer installing a brand new master socket. Not heard a peep from our billing team since.

With that said, star wiring is still technically internal wiring, so if it was chargeable it'd fall under the internal wiring category of the mandatory statement we'd make people aware of. But, here, probably won't be star wiring with that master socket.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RTNI
Rising Star

@Gandalf; Yep still syncing at around 20 down and 2 up.

If you could re run the test tomorrow that would be great.
notmyname
Rising Star

@RTNI  Can you take the rest of the SSFP (the filtered part) off?  Should just pull away at this point, and take another picture.

RTNI
Rising Star

See pics in post 29 and 30. Filtered DSL portion removed and micro filter connected to test socket

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

notmyname
Rising Star

Hmm, sorry didn't see those pics, must have overlooked them.

Doesn't look like dropwire connecting to the AB, looks like internal cable.  Do you have any other jointing boxes in place?  Does the main socket back onto an external wall?

RTNI
Rising Star

Drop wire comes into a junction box at front door about 1m from master socket. BT used the jelly crimps to extend from drop wire to master socket connections A and B. Phone line was clear on quiet line test when plugged through the inline filter faceplate as mentioned previously in the thread. 

Socket does not back onto external wall.  All appears to be fine with main connection to back of master socket.

Beginning to think that perhaps 20 is the best the line will support but BT the,selves are saying 30-40 with minimum gaurenteed of 29 or something like that. 

RTNI
Rising Star

@Gandalf

What are the results of the tests from today with the phone and router connected via mocrofilter to the BT master test socket?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Apologies for the delayed response, I hadn't a chance to login into the community until now.

Line tests aren't completing, because there's open activity on our supplier systems - basically as an appointment is booked we can't run a line test. Admittedly, I should've foreseen that.

If you're seeing the sync speed below 29mbps I'd recommend keeping the visit booked in.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RTNI
Rising Star

Yeah it's still at 20. I'll keep the appointment.

We are experiencing the remains of the hurricane right now so goodness knows how many disconnnects I'll see since midday through to midnight today!!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fingers crossed the storm passes soon!

Let us know how the visit goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RTNI
Rising Star

@Gandalf

So after waiting in all afternoon yesterday the BT engineer was a no show.  Not impressed.

Called up the faults team and managed to get another appointment for today AM.  Lets see if they turn up and what they find/say.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I can see the engineer wasn't able to find any issues.

Our faults team will be in touch as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
RTNI
Rising Star

Yes thanks the fault team have called me and the ticket has been closed.

Thanks to all who contributed for their assistance with this thread and the ticket.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@RTNI So what was the outcome of the engineer visit if no issues were found, the usual shrug and that's the best you can get scenario? Have your speeds improved at all?