Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre Connection; Speed decreasing

RTNI
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

New Fibre Connection; Speed decreasing

Hi,

I've just switched from BT standard broaband to Plusnet Fibre and the new service went active on 20th September.  At this time I was estimated to get between 19.6 and 27.4Mb download.  Previously I've always surpassed the estimates with standard broadband (getting 6Mb on an estimate of 3-4.5Mb) so I would assume the same with fibre?

The service started connecting at 36Mb via the data transfer speed link to the plusnet portal page, but I've noticed that it dropped to ~23Mb and then on power cycling the router yesterday its now reporting a speed of 21Mb.

I've been reading online that there is no 10 day settling period for fibre; rather the DLM 48hr process.  Could someone run a check on the line for me as I would expect to be pushing the upper limit of the estimate.

Thank you!

44 REPLIES 44
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Re: New Fibre Connection; Speed decreasing

It sounds like DLM has reduced your d/s speed due to instability.

I know when I had DLM reset after a copper fault recently DLM did make some adjustments in The following days. Luckily they were in my favour though.

Have you run the BT speed checker? http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com

RTNI
Rising Star

I'm currently overseas until next weekend so I will only be able to run the speed test when I return. I am hoping that someone from plusnet staff will be able to check in the background before that though

RTNI
Rising Star

Hi,

Could someone from Plusnet run a line check please?  I am just below the low end of the estimated line speed on my account (currently at 19.5 but the estimates are between 19.6 to 27).

Thanks.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Apologies that this thread hadn't been responded to previously.

I've just tested your line and it's in sync at 20.2Mb/s, however it's advising there is a potential issue on the phone line.

Can you let us know if there's any noise, crackling etc on the phone service?

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 20.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 2.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Voice fault suspected - contact Voice CP to progress copper issue
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
RTNI
Rising Star

Hi Chris,

I'll check this out this evening when I get home and reply back later on.

Thank you.

RTNI
Rising Star

Hi Chris,

Came home and did a quiet line test with all the phone / broadband connections in place.  There was a noticeable hum in the background on a corded phone with the odd occasional crackle.

Removed the front faceplate (see attached photo) and the both the "hum" and occasional crackle disappered.  I'm guessing then that the cause of this hum and crackle is somewhere in the internal wiring of the house?

I've left the corded phone connected to the test socket on the Mk2 broadband filter faceplate as per the attached photo.  Would you please be able to rerun the line test to see if the results are any different?  I also attach a picture of the BTW speed test  again for me?  Also I note that from the BTW page it says the acceptable range is between 13.72 and 19.59 which is somewhat different from the estimate of 19.6-27 that Plusnet gave me and the garunteed minimum of 16?Speedtest beforeSpeedtest beforeMaster socket with front face removed and phone inserted into test socketMaster socket with front face removed and phone inserted into test socket

RTNI
Rising Star

Hi,

Could someone from Plusnet support pick this up please?

Resolved the internal wiring fault in the house.  Phone line now clear of 'hum' and crackle. Could you please run another line test to see if the line reports as free of faults?

How do I get my speed increased now that the line appears to be clear please?

Thanks

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

The phone line is now testing fine but the speeds haven't changed.

I'd recommend raising a fault here so we can look into this further,

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
RTNI
Rising Star

Ok I will raise it when I get home and have the ability to perform the BTW test.

RTNI
Rising Star

Fault ticket raised.

I note from the BT infinity page that they are guaranteeing me 30Mb download now rather than the 19.6 Plusnet were offering!

RTNI
Rising Star

Any chance of an update on the ticket that was opened on the 10th October?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

It looks like the ticket was picked up by our faults team on Friday, but the adviser didn't contact you. Sad

I'll update it for you in a mo.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RTNI
Rising Star

I'm a little confused by the ticket update referencing a need for an engineer visit.

Yes there was a fault on the line that appeared to be with my internal house wiring. This has been cleared now going by the response from Plusnet above and the lack of humming and crackles on the phone line.

Why then do I need an engineer to visit my property? He will not find a fault when testing using the test socket (as far as I'm aware!). So either way I'm going to be charged £65 for either no fault found or the internal wiring fault which I have disconnected?

Or am I missing something?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

As your speed is below the estimates and line tests aren't finding any problems, then the only option we have with our suppliers is to arrange an engineer visit.

The engineer won't just be checking your internal equipment. They will be investigating the problem, but they'll need access to do so. I'm really sorry for any inconvenience caused.

With regards to the potential charge, we can see there's a fault. If the engineer doesn't find a problem and the situation remains the same then we'd simply arrange another engineer visit.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet