cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre Cabinet - Project speeds poor

donka
Grafter

New Fibre Cabinet - Project speeds poor

My local fibre cabinet has just changed to Accepting Orders in the last hour. I'm obviously keen to sign up but the BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER is showing speeds of (Down High 18.8 Low 12.5 - Up High 1.3 Low 0.8). The fibre cabinet is just across from my house ~ 10 meters away.
Is this speed likely to improve and just an initial speculated rate given it has just gone live? Has anyone else seen similar?
I'm asking because it impacts the product I can order.
40 REPLIES 40
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: New Fibre Cabinet - Project speeds poor

Have you checked to see if it's the same cabinet as the one the BT checker reports your connected to?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I assume that was via the telephone number
Try your post code and address then check some of your neighbours
Worst case the wires go right up the road on the other side and then back down again to you
donka
Grafter

Quote from: Matthew
Have you checked to see if it's the same cabinet as the one the BT checker reports your connected to?

Hi, yes it is the same cabinet number. I have had an interesting chat with PN support though who are telling me the estimate speed is like that because it is the distance from the exchange to my house and not from the cabinet. I pointed them to the FAQ on the site that confirms it is the distance from the cabinet that determines fibre speed and they told me the web site was incorrect.  Undecided
donka
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
I assume that was via the telephone number
Try your post code and address then check some of your neighbours
Worst case the wires go right up the road on the other side and then back down again to you

Thanks, I tried the post code checker and it doesn't list FTTC as an option. I will try some other phone numbers if I can get them New estate so don't know the neighbours too well yet.
What is frustrating is the estimate upload speed is 0.8mb on FTTC but I am getting 0.7mb just now with ADSL. Upload was one of my reasons for wanting FTTC.
GeordieMark
Grafter

Errr no the fibre predictions are based on your distance from the cab, the ADSL speeds are to the exchange, I've noticed PN support giving out a lot of incorrect info recently 😕
It could be the estimate is completely wrong, or that  your line takes some ridiculous path to the cab (it does happen) but the only way to find out would be to get it installed and see what you get really.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@donka
If you can PM me your username I can look into this.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
donka
Grafter

Quote from: Mark_
Errr no the fibre predictions are based on your distance from the cab, the ADSL speeds are to the exchange, I've noticed PN support giving out a lot of incorrect info recently 😕
It could be the estimate is completely wrong, or that  your line takes some ridiculous path to the cab (it does happen) but the only way to find out would be to get it installed and see what you get really.

Yes, I think that is training issue. I have the transcript from the chat but won't post it publicly though for obvious reasons but can share it with PN staff if it helps any.
I want to go ahead and order fibre but my concern is the upload estimate which is only 0.1mb better than what I have currently with ADSL. I'm hoping the estimate is completely wrong of course but does this seem realistic given the cabinet is literally 10 metres from my house and it is a new estate and build so assuming good quality cabling.
donka
Grafter

Quote from: Matthew
@donka
If you can PM me your username I can look into this.

Thanks Matthew, I have done. Much appreciated.
donka
Grafter

I have just used the address checker and select a house 8 doors away on the exact same cabinet and it is showing full 80/20 estimates as I would expect - see attached. All door numbers above this address are showing the 12MB estimate as per my address. Is this likely to be an error?
GeordieMark
Grafter

In my opinion it's the checker that's just wrong, but like I say it is possible that your line, for no sensible reason, goes a completely nonsensical route to the cab, hopefully Matt can get some clarification before you order.
donka
Grafter

Quote from: Mark_
In my opinion it's the checker that's just wrong, but like I say it is possible that your line, for no sensible reason, goes a completely nonsensical route to the cab, hopefully Matt can get some clarification before you order.

Yup, I hope so too. I just can't order the extra package until this is cleared up as the basic package is all that is available to me with it's capped upload speed. Sad
donka
Grafter

Matt. Can you let met know if this is opened as an issue so I know if or when I can order fibre.
Cheers,  Andy.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm still looking into this.
I should have a better understanding of it tomorrow.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
donka
Grafter

OK, thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.