cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre BB customer not impressed so far, low speed, chromecast issues, restarts.

ashyt16
Grafter

New Fibre BB customer not impressed so far, low speed, chromecast issues, restarts.

Been on Fibre now for around 3 weeks, so believe everything should have settled down by now.

First gripe is the absolute pants upload speed for fibre. When signing up hadn't realised Plusnet had cheaped out and dropped the upload to 2mbps max. Thing is I don't even get that. Syncing at 1.14mb, surely I should at least be getting the max 2mbps seeing as it's capped?

Download speed isn't that impressive either. Estimated is 30mbps which I'd be happy with, but may vary between 22.4 to 30.1mbps according to Plusnets estimation, yet I'm getting 22.2 mbps? 

Third is sudden reboots for no apparent reason.

Lastly and the most annoying to me is the seemingly incompatibility with Chromecast, which I use a lot.

It's impossible to watch anything as the Chromecast gets disconnect every few minutes. 

I've tried all sorts. Every config I can think of in the limited options of the router to no avail. I've even plugged in my Asus dsl-n55u to use as the router via the ethernet lan ports, this plusnet router can't be used in modem only mode, so the want port is useless, even that didn't help.

Of all of these it's the Chromecast issue I'd like to get sorted the most. I wish I could use my Asus dsl-n55u as the router, so I may end up buying VDSL modem.

Does anyone have any tips to get at least the Chromecast issue sorted?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter

8 REPLIES 8
dannyboy75
Rising Star

Re: New Fibre BB customer not impressed so far, low speed, chromecast issues, restarts.

I didn't want to stop using my Asus RT-N66U when I switched to Fibre, so just picked up an Openreach modem from ebay for a few quid. If you do this though, make sure to get the Huawei version, not the ECI model, as the latter has issues with G.INP

The speed issue and dropouts sound like you may have a fault on your line, as your speed is just below the lower estimate. One of the Plusnet guys should be able to run some line tests and confirm though.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: New Fibre BB customer not impressed so far, low speed, chromecast issues, restarts.

@ashyt16 If you decide to go down the VDSL modem route and can't find a Huawei HG612 for a reasonable price then you might want to consider the Tp Link W9970. As a modem they are comparable with the HG612 http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/tplink_TD-W9970_review.htm and are available in Argos & PCworld for £29.99. Easy to setup in modem only (bridge) mode and although they don't look very pretty they work fine.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're having speed issues.

Testing your line is showing your router in sync within your speed estimates...

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 24.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 1.1 Mbps

FTTC
Product status: Enabled
Product RAG: Green
Reason code: G - FTTC is already enabled on this line
CAB #: 9
Speed (Clean) : 20400 - 14900
Upstream: 1700 - 800

Speed (Impacted) : 16600 - 7800
Upstream: 1500 - 600

It's likely the estimates are low because of the length of your line...

Estimated Line Length In Metres 1595.0

The connection does appear to be dropping in the evenings...

My advice would be to run through the checks here and if the drops continue then report a fault to us here

@ashyt16 wrote:
Of all of these it's the Chromecast issue I'd like to get sorted the most. I wish I could use my Asus dsl-n55u as the router, so I may end up buying VDSL modem.

Whilst I personally can't really offer any support for this, if your chromecast is causing the router to constantly reboot, I believe Google have released a firmware update for the chromecast quite a while ago.

Anoush.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi

There are known issues with BT homehub 5's (which the PN hub one is a re-badged version of) and Google chromecasts.

The HH5's crash when using the Chromecast.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Beware-Google-Chromecast-Audio-amp-Home-Hub-5/td...

I believe there was a SW fix from Google but it was impossible to download using a HH5 as the HH5 would crash!

You could possibly use the Hub One & Asus together with Hub One as the router but disable the WiFi and use the Asus as an access point.

You would need to disable the DHCP server in the Asus..

https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Setting-up-Asus-DSL-N55U-as-AP/td-p/12...

Richard

ashyt16
Grafter

Thanks for testing the line. The disconnects in the evening are probably due to the fact this is when the line gets used. It doesn't get used during in the day.

I'm going the Hg612 route so I can use my rock solid asus dsl-n55u as the router. The Chromecast has already been updated to the latest firmware. It's not rebooting the router, it just randomly drops the connection. 

I'lI report back if the issues persist.

However I'm extremely disappointed with the upload speed. One thing I don't understand is if the upload is capped at 2mbps why aren't I getting near max? There must be plenty of overhead, so why can't it be pushed higher?

@RichardB

One of the first things I tried was connecting my Asus router to the Hub one and disabling DHCP and wifi to no avail.

I have a HG612 on the way as my cab is Huawei also. Hopefully this should stabilise the connection.  I would have fired the Hub one off eventually anyway, just I'm doing it sooner than expected.

Thanks for the advice though.

I was with plusnet ADSL getting good speeds for around 6 years and not once did I have a disconnection in all that time. 

Shame I'm stuck with fibre now at my new address.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@ashyt16 wrote:
However I'm extremely disappointed with the upload speed. One thing I don't understand is if the upload is capped at 2mbps why aren't I getting near max? There must be plenty of overhead, so why can't it be pushed higher?

Your upload speed isn't capped, it's simply the capability of your line unfortunately. I'd recommend running through the internal checks above to see if that helps squeeze a bit more juice out of the connection.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ashyt16
Grafter

I was under the impression that Plusnet unlimited fibre customers were capped at 2mbps upload unless on the fibre extra package?

As far as I'm aware BT offer 3 upload profiles -  2mbps, 10mbps, and 20mbps? I am on the lowest of the 3.

Is this incorrect?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That's right.

Your package isn't capping your sync speed, as it's in sync at 1.1mbps below the 2mbps cap.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet