Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fiber Broadband Wont Connect

timmio87
Hooked

New Fiber Broadband Wont Connect

Hi,

I had the plusnet phone line installed yesterday which has a dial tone and I can make and receive calls on. This morning I had a text saying that the Fiber Broadband was up and running too.  However, when I plugged in the hub one it just went to the orange power light with a flashing red 'b'. 

I've been onto the online chat and apprantly everything thing should be working as there's no faults showing.  We've tried resetting the router a few times including factory resets and also entering my username and password manually.  But when I press connect nothing happens, its like its unable to communicate with plusnets servers at all as if I put in my password incorrectly I don't even get an error back.

Any suggestions?

12 REPLIES 12
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: New Fiber Broadband Wont Connect

Welcome to the Forums.

This may seem a strange question - even a silly one - but did the online chat confirm that your fibre service had been connected and activated? The reason that I ask is that you seem to be describing the installation of a new phone line, rather than moving your service from another ISP to PlusNet. If it is a new line, PlusNet have told us in the past that fibre follows some days after the installation of the phone line.

If it isn't a new line, then I suggest going back to online chat - or, perhaps better, just phoning in - and pressing support to find out why you can't connect.

The fall-back is waiting for a member of the PlusNet team to pick up this thread and look into the matter. But that might not be until Monday.

timmio87
Hooked

Thanks for the reply!

It was a new line, when we moved into the rental property the line was completely disconnected to it (no dialling tone).  Plusnet reconnected the line on the 30th of June and the phone worked just as it should, their text messaging system told me the broadband would be ready to go on the 1st of July.  At 9am I had another text saying the broadband was ready to go, and I've been in the same position since then with the red flashing 'b'.

When I was in the chat with them they said there was no reason why it wouldn't work but maybe its better talking to someone in person than through the online chat as its easier to explain.  Is there a free number I can use on the home phone?

Is it possible that open reach didn't activate something correctly at the exchange or has someone had a similar issue before?

Thanks

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

0800 432 0200

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

One possibility is that the line has been activated but Plusnet have not added your details to Radius server.

Perhaps @Gandalf may pop along shortly and take a look.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear you're unable to connect to the internet.

@timmio87 wrote:
Is it possible that open reach didn't activate something correctly at the exchange or has someone had a similar issue before?

It's possible. Your router circuit is in sync but not authenticating. If your router light is flashing, the issue points to cross-jumpering at the exchange/cabinet.

@MauriceC wrote:

One possibility is that the line has been activated but Plusnet have not added your details to Radius server.

Perhaps @Gandalf may pop along shortly and take a look.

Gandalf at your service.

It's not a password issue with our RADIUS server, as the details aren't reaching the wholesale RADIUS either.

If you've tried factory resetting the router and connecting manually using [yourusername]@plusdsl.net and your account password then the next step would be for us to arrange an engineer visit for you.

I've updated your fault ticket, let us know once you've replied.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
timmio87
Hooked

Hi Anoush

Thanks for looking into this for me, its really appreciated.  I've seen you've updated the ticket and performed some tests for me too, but I find it easier to ask questions on here for time being as I wanted to give you a bit more info before we try and sort anything else out.

I live in an newish apartment (2005 built) and have just moved in (I'm a renter).  The previous tenants had some form of broadband (not sure who by) but it was working and they terminated their contract before moving out.  The people living in the apartments next door to me both have broadband with Sky and Talk Talk and are having no other issues.  I've tried plugging the router into other phone sockets in my apartment but its all having the same fault.  

All these lines by the way have a dialing tone which sounds good with no distortion that I can hear.  I've also tried plugging the phone into the micro filter which the broadband is in and that has dialing tone too so I guess the micro filter is good.  I've even tried changing the phone cable to the router with no success.

Finally I've tried changing my plusnet password and entering this into the router along with my username but it doesn't do anything when I hit connect, I don't even get an error message back..? Shall I screen shot what this looks like because its like it cant even connect to any server.

No please forgive my simplicity here but I'm used to cable broadband rather than the ASDL type so I'm not as clued up but I'm guessing that since the dialing tone is perfect and I'm in a newish block of flats and my neighbors have good internet that there isn't going to be a fault with the wiring I have inside the building?  Surely this is something todo with the activation at the exchange.  I would have thought open reach are in and out there all the time so cant they check everything is ok there first before getting a engineer out to the visit the flat?

Thanks

Tim

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Tim,

It sounds like you've done as much as you can do on your side for this type of issue, with no success.

I agree, it does appear to be an issue at the exchange/cab especially if the broadband light on your router is flashing - that indicates it's not in sync to the cabinet, where the circuit I tested is in sync. This usually means there's a jumpering problem.

Unfortunately, as we're not pinpointing the cause of the problem from testing your line, in order to progress the fault with our suppliers we'll need to arrange an engineer visit. Sad It's not necessarily to check your equipment but so they can perform end to end testing from your master socket. Sorry if it causes any inconvenience.

Let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Morning Tim,

I've updated your fault ticket, let us know once you've replied and we'll arrange the engineer visit.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
timmio87
Hooked

Hi Anoush

I've just replied to the latest ticket,

Thanks for getting things sorted quickly

Tim
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,

I've just made the booking and updated the open ticket with details.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
timmio87
Hooked

Hi Adam,

I replied to the ticket but haven't heard anything back from it.

Basically could you just confirm the engineer is still coming on Wednesday the 5th between 1 and 6pm and that you've passed on the two contact numbers for them to ring me on when they arrive and I can meet them at the door to the building.

Thanks!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Tim,

That's all confirmed now for tomorrow PM. I've added the contact numbers you've advised of, on to the engineer's job sheet too. Let us know how it goes. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet