Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New FTTC installation, strange Ping graph

frogfoot
Dabbler

New FTTC installation, strange Ping graph

Hi,
I have just had FTTC enabled and so far am very happy, I have one slight problem regarding the TBB Ping monitor graph that has been generated over the last few hours

as you can see it seems to have a large amount of jitter (much more than I am used to) It does not seem to be significantly affected by usage as for several hours there was nothing uploading/downloading at all.
Can anyone help me interpret what it signifies. (I'm using s Billion 8800axl not the supplied ECI modem)
Thanks
Tom
4 REPLIES 4
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: New FTTC installation, strange Ping graph

I have the same router and see spikes as well, but much further apart:
frogfoot
Dabbler

Quote from: Jaggies
I have the same router and see spikes as well, but much further apart:

I'm sure I read on the Billion forum of another person having the same regular widely dispersed spikes, that only seemed to occur if WiFi is turned on, my spikes however seem to be much more regular.
frogfoot
Dabbler

Mystery solved, It seems that when I poll the snmp data to plot interface stats and line stats it causes the router to respond slower to ping requests. Hopefully this is just cosmetic and won't affect actual latency.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: frogfoot
spikes, that only seemed to occur if WiFi is turned on

Well, my wifi is certainly turned on.
If I could be bothered I could turn the wifi off overnight and see if that gets rid of the spikes, but as it doesn't affect anything I'll probably not bother unless it becomes intrusive.