HI I’m new to the forum and FTTC, but I have an interesting issue.
I ‘upgraded’ to 80/20 FTTC from ADSL last week, initially I didn’t get any speed increase as my profile hadn’t been updated, after this was rectified my download speed increased to 40Mbps and 20 up. I ran the BT wholesale tests and the maximum theoretical download was around 40, a lot less than the estimate (I live 200M from cabinet). I then moved the router to the master socket, I didn’t think would make much difference, when I now ran the BT test the max achievable was around 77Mbps, although I was only getting 40Mbps, during the TAP3 BT test I could download at around 66Mbps.
The router says that the connection is 80 down and 20 up
I have logged a fault 2 days ago, my profile on the PN member page was at 40, but has since jumped to 78Mbps, brilliant I thought, that’s it fixed, last night my downloads has dropped to 13Mbps !!! Still havent had any feedback, it just frustrating more than anything else.
Its clear from looking at your screenshots that's something's not right, I see you have raised a fault and currently waiting for a reply as far as I'm aware due to the bad weather it's 5 days at the moment for a response.
The best thing I can advise is you wait for the faults team to carry out there tests . Also if possible post your statics there available on troubleshooting tab> Helpdesk in your Hub (please blank out your plusnet username in the statics)