Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New FTTC Install very slow download speed quandry

FIXED
shoesuk
Dabbler

New FTTC Install very slow download speed quandry

Hello,

I've just been switched over to FTTC on Unlimited Fibre Extra (today at ~10am) unfortunately despite the BT Homehub showing good speeds (see attached) and my IP Profile looking ok (from http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/) my download and latency are clearly off the pace with just 4.5 mbps down and 12 mbps up

I've tried restarting the hub several times to no avail. Can someone please help?

10 REPLIES 10
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: New FTTC Install very slow download speed quandry

I suspect PN have yet to update your account, one of the staff on here may see your post and update it, or you could give them a call or go onto online chat.

shoesuk
Dabbler

ok thanks I'll try the chat, FYI i've tried the rebadged plus.net BT Homehub 5 type A to no joy

shoesuk
Dabbler

Actually according to my Plus net account page my Unlimited Fibre account is active so I'm not sure what part of the DLM etc.. is restricting me. Upload seems better though still slow at ~12 mbps. Again IP Profile seems good and sync speed is maxed out.

Am I  missing something? I'm hesitant to keep restarting my router lest I signal the DLM to reduce speeds further.

shoesuk
Dabbler

Oh and latency is around 20ms with is worse than the fast path DSL I was on previously

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello @shoesuk

This is probably down to your speed profile on your account that hasn't updated it yet. The profile usually only caps the downstream throughput, not upstream.

I'll take a look at things first thing tomorrow morning once I'm back in the office, so you don't need to call in.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
shoesuk
Dabbler

@Anoush Thanks! Appreciate the assistance.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

No problems. It looks like automation beat me to it, as delta report speed updates automatically changed the profile to 77400 kbps at about 4am this morning.

If you reboot your router you should start to get a pretty nice speed.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
shoesuk
Dabbler

Hi @Anoush thanks for the update, just rebooted and speeds are much improved! Not to grumble but since I have a sync speed of 80 and am indeed paying for 80 why am I only getting a profile of 77400? Can I not get the extra 2600 mbps?!

Many thanks for your help.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Fix

Testing your line I can see your router is in sync at 80/20. The profile should be set slightly under the sync. Our speed profile only goes up to 78000 kbps. I've maxed it out now, but I can't guarantee it won't drop down by itself to 77400.

Unlimited Fibre Extra is also an 76 Mbps product. Wink

shoesuk
Dabbler

@Anoush yep it is, my mistake.