Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New FTTC Install, IP Profile and Fibre Extra

aelsbury
Dabbler

New FTTC Install, IP Profile and Fibre Extra

Hello all.
I had a FTTC (unlimited fibre) install by PN last week and I'm getting around 37mb d/l speeds (as expected).
All basic broadband speed tests on my line indicate I should range from 32-40mb...so when I ordered, the only option was unlimited fibre.
When the engineer tested the line at the house with his handset, he said it could handle alot more than the existing cap...so I tested this using the BTW tool. As you can see, I have an IP Profile of 52mb.
Question - does the IP Profile indicate the max speed? If so, I would like to request fibre extra - but this isn't currently an option with PN, as all online  testers show the line having a max speed of 40mb...
Thanks...
4 REPLIES 4
elfish
Grafter

Re: New FTTC Install, IP Profile and Fibre Extra

There are three main speeds/profiles that you need to be aware of, which are:
-Sync speed (the speed between your modem and the DSLAM within the cab)
-BT IP Profile (tends to mirror you sync speed, but slightly lower than your sync speed)
-PlusNet IP Profile (the line speed of which is dictated by what product you are on, but it can be lower depending on your BT IP Profile)
If you are on the up to 38/18 (aka 40/20) Unlimited Fibre product, your PN IP Profile will not be any higher than 40Mbps, even though your sync speed and BT IP Profile are higher.
If you decide you want more, then go for the Unlimited Fibre Extra product which will raise your PN IP Profile. The Extra package can provide up to 76Mbps, so depending on your line (sync speed), your actual throughput maybe lower. From looking at your BT IP Profile, you will probably be able to achieve actual throughput of up to 50Mbps if you go on to the Extra product.
You can check your PN IP Profile by logging into your account on PlusNet, and click on High Speed Broadband on the control panel/portal.
aelsbury
Dabbler

According to PN, estimated line speed is 31 and current line speed is 40.
I had a similar issue with estimated line speeds and ADSL. My line was estimated at 1.5 but got 5...guess I have good copper.
elfish
Grafter

The Estimated line speed in the PN portal (as I just found out myself recently) tends to be lower than what you can achieve, as the figures go off the BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER - FTTC Range A (Clean) - Downstream Line Rate - Low figure.
Check your line here:
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwchecker.htm
I would be surprised if the Low figure isn't 31Mbps.
aelsbury
Dabbler

Yes, spot on...31.5 clean and 19.3 impacted...
I assume I need to ticket the request w/ PN?