cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New FTTC Fibre Unlimited very slow

andytyc
Hooked

New FTTC Fibre Unlimited very slow

Can you please check that everything is running correctly with my line. I have just upgraded from broadband unlimited to fibre unlimited. Minimum guarantee access line speed was quoted as 34MB.

Hub one arrived on 23/8/17 and quoted switchover date was 24/8/17.

Connected the hub one (self install) following all instructions on 24/8/17. 

Since then, every speedtest( Ookla and Openreach) I have done both via ethernet and wifi have been around 6 to 9 Mb and and upload of about 1Mb. Naturally, can't stream 2 netflix channels at the same time and things slow down even more in the evenings. 

The BT cabinet which is literally in front of my house just went live very recently (FTTC).

I also read that there is a 1 to 2 day 'testing' period but I haven't hit anything above 9 MB since activation. Is this normal?

Enclosed is a readout from my hub one. Can you please check if everything is ok?

Thanks.

17 REPLIES 17
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: New FTTC Fibre Unlimited very slow

I don't think you have been switched over from ADSL to fibre connection.

The line: 24 modulation is shown as G992.5 which is ADSL (fibre is G993)

Most likely is Openreach had to reschedule job due to lack of engineers during holiday period.

Suggest giving Plusnet a call, they may (or may not) have the new activation date supplied by Openreach.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
andytyc
Hooked

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, I did call plusnet twice both of which took 20 mins of waiting. The first call was on the evening of 24/8/17. I was told that the switchover would take place by midnight 24/8/17 and I thought that was fair enough. The following morning, I had an e-mail from Plusnet stating that the switchover was complete. Called again on 25/8/17 as speeds were very low and spoke to an advisor who said everything was in order and that I had to wait 10 days to get the quoted speed. Did some reading on the forum as that didn't make too much sense ( not once over 9 MB) hence this appeal to the Plusnet community for some help.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Thinking out loud.  Another possibility is an Openreach engineer did attend on 24th, but mistakenly switched one of your neighbour's over to fibre, and Plusnet is perhaps seeing your neighbour's line when they run a diagnostic....   I could be mistaken of course.

I don't know whether any more knowledgable Plusnet agent will appear on this forum over this bank holiday weekend, to check your account and respond to this thread.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

One thing strikes me as as odd is the maximum upstream data rate of 24Mbs.
I would suggest a factory reset of the Hub One but am loathe to do so in case the current internet access is lost.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Item 24 on the router help page says G992.5 which is ADSL2 not fibre VDSL, so if the reboot does not work then something is wrong!

andytyc
Hooked

Unfortunately, rebooting doesn't improve matters.

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Yeah it pretty much looks like you have not been Fibre enabled, as stated already the G.992.5 Annex A under modulation is ADSL2+ not fibre, The 24Mb upload for the Maximum Data Rate does look weird but that might be a bug in the Hub one displaying the figures the wrong way around 24Mb is expected for maximum Data Rate on the download for ADSL2+

Any way one for Plusnet staff to sort out for you sadly not until they are back from the bank holiday on Tuesday, you could try phone support again and hopefully get someone that knows what the hell they are doing / looking at.

Oh and the 10 day settling period is rubbish it doesn't happen on fibre it goes as fast as possible for your line from the moment it is switched on DLM keeps a eye on it and makes any changes over a 48hr period sooner if the line is to unstable.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

The 24Mb in the stats is the max upload figure which isn't possible on ADSL2+ which is why I think a factory reset is needed.
24Mb downstream on ADSL2+ is possible if your next door neighbour is BT!

ETA the previous post was edited whilst I was slowly composing mine Angry

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I think that max upload figure is a bug. The modem is reporting ADSL2+ mode so the OP has not been upgraded.

@andytyc You could have another look on the BT checker and see if there are any details of an open order on your line in the text below the speed estimates. PlusNet support have not helped you with their usual everything is fine - when it obviously isn't with the cabinet so close, and the nonsense about waiting 10 days. If you can suffer waiting on the phone again you may get someone who has a clue but it's a gamble.Smiley

andytyc
Hooked

Thank you everyone for the very helpful replies.

I copied some text the BT website:

"For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market B Exchange.

There is an open order on your line which is due to complete by 25-Aug-2017."

Thanks again.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Well it looks like something has gone horribly wrong as the order has not completed, may have to wait until Tuesday for forum staff to see your thread. The message about first 10 days of service is an excuse for BT to do nothing if a fault is raised soon after activation or upgrade. It may be slightly true for ADSL lines where the fault threshold speeds are set after 10 days but for VDSL the line rate is what it initially connects at, unless very unstable in which case it is reduced by DLM over the first couple of days

Browni
Aspiring Hero

The way DLM works on VDSL is described here

andytyc
Hooked

Thanks again for the replies.

I hope that the Forum Staff can have a look at this on Tuesday.

I am really not keen on wasting time waiting to speak to another clueless person on the helpline.

andytyc
Hooked

So, I called the helpline again yesterday 29.8.17. I explained the info I obtained from this forum. He acknowledged that I was still on ADSL and tried to justify his colleagues explanation of the 10 day test period. He assured me it would be done by midnight 29.8.17. Lo and behold this morning, 30.8.17, still on ADSL and BT Openreach Line check still states I have an open order on my line which is due to be completed on 25.7.18.

This is getting pretty frustrating and each call to the helpline involves a 15 to 20 minute wait. I don't mind waiting if the problem was actually sorted but I feel like I'm being fobbed off and I'm just being given illogical and inaccurate answers.