Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New FIBRE install and existing cabling

Andy001z
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

New FIBRE install and existing cabling

Hi,
I am currently using Plusnet over ADSL, on a BT provided line. My master socket is located in the hall and I have run a new 6 core phone cable grade wire to my office in the loft, her this is terminalted in a standard RJ11 BT socket. My router (Netgear R300) is plugged into this and has been opperating fine for over two years. I get speeds of up 10 8-11meg download and most of the time it is stable.
So my question is this. I have been offered a deal from Plusnet to upgrade to fibre, new router, new installation of master socket upgrade, etc. All good so far, but what I need to undertand is can my exsisting cabling be used to extend the master socket up to the loft and keep my router up their, as having it in the hall is not really an option. (wireless in my 1930's house is very flakey) and installing more high grade cabling to the loft is very ticky and not a preffered solution.
Is the install that goes on with Fibre just ot the presentation at the master socket and if so can the onward extentions and the router still work of the old phone cabling?
Your thoughts.
Andy
13 REPLIES 13
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: New FIBRE install and existing cabling

Only 1 pair of your 3 pair cable is needed to connect to the extension socket so, if the cable is the correct grade (twisted pair is the most important factor) the engineer can connect the incoming pair at the existing master directly to a pair in your extension cable then fit an NTE5 with the FTTC faceplate up in the loft and use a second pair in your extension cable to connect back down to the old master socket as a filtered telephone extension.  As far as I know this should have little effect on the FTTC (VDSL2) performance - possibly a slight speed drop due to the extra distance.  Some may say that this is not the best way to do it but I don't think the (filtered) second pair back to the telephone socket will cause significant interference.
When you order, just make certain that you ask for a 'data extension kit' (or whatever they're currently calling it), this should be done at no additional charge if your wire is up to specification.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Andy001z
Dabbler

That sounds about what I was thinking, currently it uses two of the six cables the 3rd if I recall was used as a ringer signal cable, but on modern phones not used. So if I read right what your saying is they will install the new filtered box in the loft running the unfiltered signal for normal phones back down the spare pairs in the cable to the old master box. My house configuration is currently Master in Hall with one unfiltered phone plugged in, then I have a six core cable running from this box up to the loft directly, where it is presented to a juntion box, from this one cable goes to a Loft BT RJ11 socket box that has a phone plugged into a microfilter as well as the router cable. Then from the juntion box the phone cable returns back downto the first floor bedroom where it is presented to another bedroom phone. Am I going to need to do anything clever with these phone sockets or is it just the one presenting to the router?
Ta
dick:quote
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

The phone in your hallway should be filtered!
Any extension sockets fed from the new master (with FTTC faceplate) will be filtered (correct for telephones, no good for DSL), not so sure about having two extensions 'branching off' from the master but this may be less of an issue since they are already filtered.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Andy001z
Dabbler

Hmmm it might very well be filtered in the hall, I can't recall. If not it's all been working fine, which is odd. I'll check the setup tonight.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Do you need an actual phone socket in the loft? If you don't order FTTC with the data extension kit then when the engineer arrives ask him to use the existing cable - he should be grateful he doesn't have to run any wire and will just replace the socket in the loft with one you can plug the FTTC modem straight in to without a filter.
If you do need a phone upstairs he should be able to use one pair for the phone and one pair for the data extension - the trouble is that might blow his mind is he hasn't done anything like that before.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Andy001z
Dabbler

I kind of do need a phone up there, as I use it as an office. So from your post and W23 it seems my existing 6 core phone cable that I have running around the house will cope with the install, just about making sure the right pairs are used. Do you still need filters with the new FIBRE service?
ta
PS: Your point about the engineer is valid, It very much depends on the person arriving at the door. Not sure if adding notes to the install job would help or just scare BT away from the job, saying its not standard.
dick:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you are up to it, it might be a job you can do yourself. You can get modular wall sockets (see https://claritybroadband.co.uk/clxcart/Modular-Wall-Sockets/) where you'd have a phone and ADSL/VDSL socket side by side each using one pair. At the master socket you'd have the BT filtered master socket. The pair for the phone you'd connect to the removable faceplate, the pair for the ADSL/VDSL would go on the A+B connectors on the filtered faceplate.
Edit: Based on Jim's post below don't buy from Clarity - I've not removed the link as it is a good example of the sort of thing needed.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Andy001z
Dabbler

Reasons? Looks like a good source for bits, is it knock-offs or something?
jim:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

read the thread and make your mind up
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

We practice Real Customer Service

https://www.claritybroadband.co.uk/who.htm
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I don't think the company (Clarity Broadband) is operating any more. I ordered something a couple of weeks ago, made payment on the website, and waited. Nothing arrived. I started checking the internet and saw that several people were in the same boat. I never did get any response from emailing them (Clarity that is). Fortunately my payment was never taken despite making it through the third party payment system.
I now just need to keep a watch on my credit card to make sure the payment is not taken.
So in summary - I wouldn't recommend ordering from them.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Oldjim
I don't recommend ordering from that site judging by this http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/hwsuppliers/f/4355671-clarity-broadband.html?o=93&fpart=all&vc=1

Thanks for posting that warning Jim. I was considering ordering some stuff from them myself.
Another previously good company gone to the dogs!