Re: New Customer

Of course
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

From what I can see your online now?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Eggs
Rising Star

I am indeed online with you Plusnet.
Engineer arrived at 4.15 and he was very apologetic since he did indeed arrange with me to call first thing this morning. So I didn't mishear or misunderstand him.
Very pleased.
Plusnet 10/10.
Openreach 8/10 (for not arriving when he said but when you said).
First impressions are very good.
If the speed remains something like and more importantly the service remains reliable then we're laughing.
Profiterole
Grafter

Its so easy to think the ISP are to blame when it's really BT who are responsible.  I, like you, was expecting issues with my fibre install. 
To be honest, I was sent a text telling me I had a morning slot.  Got to 11:30 with no sign.  Phoned PN to be told my appointment was, in fact, an afternoon slot.  So that was a PN mistake.
It got later and later and I was on the verge of calling again when, at 16:20, I had a call from the BT engineer.  He had issues with the cabinet (couldn't find my line) so by the time he got away it was almost 18:00.  He wasn't happy - he told me he usually finished before 16:00.  And, to cap it all, he'd taken a call from BT asking if he could do an install about a mile away from me.  He refused as he was well into overtime by that point.
At the time I thought that could easily have been me.  I wonder who that poor household blamed when they didn't get their broadband up and running that day.
Eggs
Rising Star

And the repercussions of staying in all day to not have the appointment fulfilled can be both inconvenient and expensive. If, as a private individual I am not in then I am liable for a stiff charge yet this is never the case when reversed.
I was expecting a much more involved install. I have a prefiltered ADSL master socket giving me 3 filtered telephone extension lines plus a "clean" unfiltered extension line to behind my PC desk (all buried in the walls leading to faceplates). I believed - indeed I was told - the ADSL filtered master socket was incompatible with the Fibre Optic Openreach Modem, and would have to be replaced. I was also told I would need to have the router right next to the master socket. This would have entailed some amending and rerouting (which I can do but wasn't looking forward to since I have a cat6 internet cable leading from behind my desk to my daughter's bedroom - again buried in the walls with faceplates).
It now seems this was nonsense. The master socket is compatible. All the engineer did was plug the Openreach modem into my unfiltered face socket behind my desk and then replaced my existing router with the Plusnet one. I could have done it. Didn't even need an engineer.
I consider myself educated.
Eggs
Rising Star

Following my install I have now been online with Plusnet for 6 months. After installation I posted to say I was happy with the speed and if the connection proved to be reliable I would be laughing. Well... I'm still laughing. Connection and reliability has been faultless and I have been, and am still, extremely happy with my Plusnet experience. Since a good connection is nigh essential for my daughter's university work (and of course my own online gaming) I am pleased with myself for making the right choice and pleased with Plusnet for making it happen.
Eggs
Rising Star

SWebster
Grafter

Hi,
Just wondering why you decided to switch from Sky to Plusnet?
Thanks
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi Eggs,
Thanks for coming back to us and letting us know you're still happy, always nice to hear.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Eggs
Rising Star

SWebster -
You have asked why I switched from Sky to Plusnet.
I was originally with a regular ADSL supplier called Be or BeThere. They were excellent but were then bought by Sky. When my line was migrated onto the Sky network I noticed a deterioration in reliablily and system "lag" . Since this was just before my daughter's final year at university (good connection essential) I decided it was time to move. I also have a long standing dislike of Sky (possibly unfairly) and since I have no other Sky subscription they were surcharging me an extra £10 on top of my £10 internet connection. Since my Plusnet is £17.50 for a faster and more reliable service on fibre it was a bit of a no brainer really. I was just a little apprehensive Plusnet (for whatever reason) would mess up (or Openreach of course) and leave my daughter's university work in jeapardy.
Thankfully, everything turned out well (phew!).
Eggs
Rising Star

Looking at my first post it looks like I have been with Plusnet for 36 months now.

Up until 2 days ago (Wednesday 20th June) I cannot ever remember ever having any kind of issue with my internet connection. It has remained stable, reliable (my priority) and easily fast enough for our use (around 17 MB download).

It was 2 days ago I noticed a serious reduction in speed but pretty much disregarded it as a glitch. However, last night I was watching John Wick 2 on my NowTV box and noticed the poor quality of picture (now assumed to be a reduction in resolution to compensate for poor internet speed - which I didn't know it could do) and some buffering. I then tested my internet speed to find it was less than 1 MB.

Anyway, it was this morning my wife realised the landline was dead (I have fibre to cabinet) and had been so since Wednesday when she remembered seeing a BT engineer up our telegraph pole. And so the penny dropped.

But get this - contacted BT via web chat and they quickly confirmed a network fault. No excuses, no runaround, no lies. No try this, try that, try the other. The fault was logged for an engineer to call on Monday. Monday? What this Monday? Not 3 weeks next Wednesday then cancel 3 times after staying in all day? No. This Monday. (Remember an internet connection is essential for my daughter's university work). Within 30 minutes of ending the web chat I went outside just to make sure our line wasn't hanging off the wall or something for which I would get billed to be greeted by .... the BT engineer. The same engineer my wife saw last Wednesday. He came in and plugged a machine with flashing lights into the master socket, then left to inspect the appropriate cabinet. He then came back and climbed our telegraph pole. Then he returned to get his machine back. "Broken connection". Job done. Back to normal.

... now that is service.