Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer

Berzons
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

New Customer

Hi,

I just changed over from TalkTalk to Plusnet today. I know that there is a stabilisation period but I'm a bit worried with the ping and speed results.

With TT I was achieving a ping of 16ms and 63 down 19 up. With Plusnet I have a ping of 32ms and 52 down 18 up.

This increase in ping is worrying as I am a gamer.

I would have thought that I would start off at the fastest profile and then adjust from there?

Cheers,

Brian

13 REPLIES 13
TheGhostOfOskar
Dabbler

Re: New Customer

Don't worry so much, dude.

Chances are, in 5-10 days that'll settle down and you'll be <insert favourite game>ing til your hearts content.

Just don't fall into the trap of resetting the router to try and increase it, as you'll more than likely cause the exact opposite.

If it doesn't pick up over the next week or so, you're in the right place for help.
Berzons
Dabbler

Cheers for the reply.

Here's hoping...

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Berzons,

I've tested your line and there are no issues to be concerned with - you're in sync at 57mb/s but as @The GhostofOskar has suggested, I'd expect this to improve over the next few weeks.

If you're in this position by the end of the month please let us know and we'll investigate further.

Best wishes

Dave

Berzons
Dabbler

Hi @RandallFlagg,

Yeah, hopefully it will stabilise and the ping will come down. I'm not overly concerned with speeds as such.

I thought that it would start off at the fastest profile and go from there but on futher research it seems that's not the case 👍

p.s. Nice username 👌

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Thanks Smiley

Berzons
Dabbler

That's been 10 x days and the connection has stabilized somewhat. Latency is still around 7ms higher than my previous ISP but that's not enough to cry over.

Question - It's not a show-stopper but how come with Plusnet my line the download will only sync in the mid 60's while previous ISP I was seeing the router sync at late 70's? This was using the same router setup.

Cheers

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Thanks for getting back to us @Berzons and I'm happy to hear your ping looks to have settled somewhat.

Checking your connection from this side we can only see 66.1Mbps download getting to your router currently which falls below the 71.3 - 80Mbps estimates we have for your line and certainly hints something is out of place somewhere
Although it's more than likely going to be an external physical issue behind the loss of speed, our testing from this side isn't highlighting any underlying problems. In which case, as our next step would be to raise a fault and get an engineer out to investigate further I'd ask you do the own domain checks your side to rule a few internal factors that could be behind this loss of speed.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the speeds increase above the estimates. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If the problem still persists from here we will go down the route of raising a fault. Let us know how it goes.

Berzons
Dabbler

Hi @BD,

Everything is wired up alright this side. No noisy dial tone and I always have the router plugged into the test socket anyway. The connection seems stable enough. Any drops would have been myself experimenting with modems/routers.

The profile wouldn't be stuck @ 66Mbps would it? Would a DLM reset do anything?

Thanks,

Brian

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to us @Berzons and apologies for the delayed response.

I'm afraid there's no DLM in play as far as what I can see with your current profile being "

Downstream: 0.128M-80M with no error protection. Upstream: 0.128M-20M with no error protection"

I'd recommend raising a fault by going here so we can investigate further.

Let us know once you've done so and we'll get that picked up.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Berzons
Dabbler

Hi @MatthewWheeler ,

Thanks for that. Ticket has been raised.

Cheers,

Brian

Berzons
Dabbler

Hi,

That's been 7 x days since I answered the Support Team's question regarding Openreach Engineer's visit availability with no reply?

Reference Number: 199656425

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Berzons,

I'm very sorry for the delay in getting back to you on the ticket and on here. Having checked your account, I can see that you have now had an engineer visit and it appears that they have been able to resolve the fault. Please let us know if you are still experiencing any problems with your connection.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Berzons
Dabbler

Hi,

The Engineer couldn't find any faults so he put it down to the age of the underground cables between the cabinet and the property. Bit strange considering I was getting almost full 80MBps sync speed with TT... 🤔😂