Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer!

Alucidnation
Rising Star

New Customer!

Morning all.
I have just signed up for Plusnet unlimited fibre extra and i am being given a figure of around 52Mb download speed, having just moved from Sky's 40Mb service and only getting around 25Mb even though i am actually connected at 40!
Anyway, hopefully PN will "do me proud" and maybe give me the quoted connection speed and matching dl speed!
Also, i see many people prefer using a dedicated VDSL modem and doing away with the BT OR one and the supplied router.
My question is (and probably one of many), are online services affected by this?
We use BBC player, Netflix etc,  a lot and also ITV player, although this is normally via a Mac connected via HDMI.
Many thanks!
Smiley
41 REPLIES 41
Joshc
Grafter

Re: New Customer!

Good morning!
You are on our Fibre extra package which does not limit your speeds, where as sky 40mbps package would have!!!
So in regards to your estimated speeds, it looks good Smiley
You are able to use a vdsl modem with Plusnet as long as you can set it up correctly.
Everything would work as normal, Netflix, Iplayer ETC.
Just a little tip though Smiley Try not to get rid of the BT modem as we only offer support on this product.
Thanks
Alucidnation
Rising Star

Ah, i didn't realise Sky limited speeds which as far as i remembered they said they didn't!
Just another quick question, how can my line support 52 when i thought it was already maxed out at 40?
(Anyway, i will be keeping the supplied boxes, however for the WAF i said i could reduce the 2 to 1, but if i get any issues i can reinstate them for diagnostics etc.)
Thanks again.
Smiley
jim:quote

Joshc
Grafter

Thanks for your reply!!!
I have done a couple of checks and the maximum that your line can handle is 60.2 Mbps and the minimum is around 52.6 ( https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.AddressOutput )
This can vary due to a number of factors like the distant from the exchange, etc, etc.
Thanks 
Alucidnation
Rising Star

Thanks again!
Just looking at that link and putting in my details, i think you may have crossed the speeds over?
If i look at FTTC impacted (which i assume we use for worse case) , it states that max and min are 60 & 35?
Apologies for my complete lack of understand with this stuff, and your help is very much appreciated!
Smiley
Joshc
Grafter

My apologies it was me that got the speeds crossed when looking at the screen  Embarrassed
The speeds vary between 69.2mpbs and 35Mpbs and we estimate your speeds to be at 52Mbps.
As you mentioned  these speeds can be affected, "impacted" or not so much (clean).
As I mentioned earlier there are a number of factors that can impact your line.
Hope I have helped. Smiley
Thanks.
Alucidnation
Rising Star

No problem.
Thanks anyway.
To be honest, if we can get around 52 then whatever happens, it will be an improvement on Sky, and less cost, so win win!
WWWombat
Grafter

@Alucidnation
The "clean" speed range is what BT uses to show their expectation of your speeds when you have a line that is not impacted by faults. The range is where they expect your speeds to be; Note that they also expect that your speed may also vary over time within this range - so you may validly get speed drops later.
Any engineer-install ought to leave the line free of faults, so ought to be able to achieve the "clean" speeds. You probably had this engineer install when going with Sky, so you probably won't get another one.
Plusnet give you a speed estimate based on the lower side of the "clean" range. You might get more initially, but it might come down over time (this happens more on FTTC as take-up increases).
The "impacted" range is what you'd get if there were some issues with the line, that could be dealt with by an engineer. BT perhaps consider this to be the speed range you'd get if you did a "self-install", as you'd be unable to test the line and fix any potential faults.
Ah, i didn't realise Sky limited speeds which as far as i remembered they said they didn't!
Just another quick question, how can my line support 52 when i thought it was already maxed out at 40?

Sky sold you a package that was capped at 40, but then didn't limit you within the cap. It appears that you weren't maxed out at that speed, so Sky could have sold you their 80 package ... but they don't publicise that one much.
If you went for the slower PN package, they too would cap the speed at 40 and then not limit you within the cap; as it stands, you have gone for the 80 package, so your line will go as fast as it can.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Alucidnation
Rising Star

Ok great, thanks for the info!!\\

Just had an email from Sky saying...
"We'll stop your broadband service on 19/01/2015 and will remove it from your phone line around 10 working days later."
Does that mean i will be without BB for 10 days????
Joshc
Grafter

Good evening,
Your phone is due to be taken over on the 19/01/2015 as a working line take over.
The BT engineer is due on the 19/01/2015 between 1PM and 6PM.
If all goes to plan your fibre broadband should be working once the engineer does his thing.
Thanks

Smiley
Alucidnation
Rising Star

Thanks.
Also, do i not need to give you a MAC code?
Again, this was mentioned on their email.
Joshc
Grafter

No you would not need to supply us with a Mac key as your using a Mpf line with Sky!
If you have any more questions don't hesitate to fire away!
Thanks
Alucidnation
Rising Star

Thanks again.

One thing that does concern me quite a bit, is that Plusnet operate a TMP which prioritises gaming etc?
So, i am therefore assuming that if we have a number of gamers online of an evening, their traffic will take priority over my browsing/music downloads or internet radio?

"Make sure stuff that needs to be fast (like VoIP, VPN and gaming) is always prioritised - if these run slowly, they won't work properly
Protect your interactive activities like web-browsing and email from download traffic such as music downloads
Provide a service relative to the amount each customer pays in terms of usage allowances and experience
Flex the network in the event of unusual demands in traffic or disaster situations (e.g. a network failure)"
Having just signed up after being with Sky who do not operate this policy, i am starting to wonder if i have made a mistake moving.

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Sky do operate such a policy, it's called traffic shaping.
Sky (and plusnet) don't throttle any traffic but they shape it to make sure that the stuff you are doing gets the bandwidth that it needs.
However, with a 50Mbps + connection, it's unlikely that you'd ever notice anything unless you have 50 people all playing online at the same time whilst you try to stream a 4K movie.
Alucidnation
Rising Star

Ok!
However, I have spotted on comparison sites that Plusnet do shape, and Sky don't, so i guess time will tell!
https://www.cable.co.uk/guides/is-plusnet-fibre-broadband-any-good/

Smiley