Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer - Slow speeds.

FIXED
jedinburgh
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

New Customer - Slow speeds.

I'm a new customer who recently signed up for the unlimited Fibre extra.

Currently my guaranteed minimum speed is 44Mbps.

Bear in mind networking isn't my strong point. The reason I switched from a previous provider was because my speed suddenly dropped around 2-3 months ago , I was able to achieve download speeds of around 4-5MBps but then changed to barely being able to reach 2MBps and was constantly losing connection. I assumed this was an issue with the ISP and signed up to plusnet. Since joining and performing the recommended BT tests , it is showing my max achievable speed has dropped to only 22 Mbps , half of what it should be. I thought this might be a problem with where I was plugging in my router(initially a secondary socket upstairs) however since then I have tried connecting the router through the master socker and using powerline adapters to connect via a wired connection upstairs to a PC and it has made zero difference.

As recommended I have performed the required checks and although I have a troubleshooting ticket open this seems to be the best way to get a prompt response.

Could anyone suggest what the problem might be and how it might be fixed?

27 REPLIES 27
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: New Customer - Slow speeds.

Hi there.

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing speed problems.

Our tests are showing your router in sync at a slow line speed of 25.1mbps and detecting an "Impairment in copper joint detected most likely in local network. Please continue to submit a trouble report".

The fault location on a line test is only estimated however as you've said you've tried connecting your router to the master socket and we can probably rule out the router itself being the issue as you've had issues with Sky, I've reported this to our suppliers and we've been advised that to progress the fault we'd need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further. 

I've updated your fault ticket you've raised which you can view and reply to from here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=191706925 Once you've responded with the requested information if you can let us know over here we'll be happy to pick this back up as soon as we can and arrange an engineer.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jedinburgh
Dabbler

Thankyou for the quick response. 

I've responded to the ticket with availability and agreed to the visit by an engineer.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problem. I've booked you in for an engineer visit Monday afternoon.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jedinburgh
Dabbler

Engineer visited today and made some changes.

Speed has improved as shown.

jedinburgh
Dabbler

Not sure if this is the speed to expect for my line , could you confirm that?

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for your post @jedinburgh.

From the image you've sent we can see that you're still below the estimates and so we've rejected the Openreach report that the issue is resolved.

In all likelihood they'll probably want to send out another engineer and so I've updated the ongoing ticket requesting your availability, to pre-empt any further delay.

Please let me know here when you've responded and if necessary I'll book it in.

jedinburgh
Dabbler

Just to check , with a 2nd engineer call out will I be charged the £65 call out fee for that one also?

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @jedinburgh, thanks for your post.

Providing all internal checks have been completed, there should be no charge applied.

Are you currently plugged into the test socket, found behind the master socket?

jedinburgh
Dabbler

They just installed a new master socket and I think worked out any of the internal issues. The speed i'm getting is the speed they seemed happy with before leaving, so I never thought of trying the test socket. 

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for you speedy response @jedinburgh.

Accessing the test socket is one of the checks we would usually ask you to complete to rule out any internal wiring issues. As this wasn't done, I'm going ensure that we waive any charge for today's visit, should it be applied.

Please can you set the connection into the test socket and see how the speed is for 24 hours? By doing this, we can ensure that your internal wiring isn't to blame and can minimise as much as possible the chance that you'll be charged for a further visit.

jedinburgh
Dabbler

The master socket installed is two socket pre filtered with a removable face place to a single socket. I'll run 3 tests 6 hours apart over the next 24 hours using this single socket and get back to you with the results.

jedinburgh
Dabbler

I've posted below the results of the 3 tests, it seems than the speed has somehow dropped further.

I also included a final test using the master socket with the face plate back on just for comparison.

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @jedinburgh,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I'm sorry to hear that. I've arranged an engineer to visit again, details can be found here. We'll review the situation after the visit.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks - LF

jedinburgh
Dabbler

Unfortunately an engineer failed to turn up and I never received any phone call with an explanation.