cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer: Slow download speeds and intermittent connection

Adamvelo

New Customer: Slow download speeds and intermittent connection

Hi,

I switched over to Plusnet unlimited fibre extra last Friday and have been having issues ever since. I appreciate that it takes some time to get the line optimised but I've not experienced it this bad when we have changed providers in the past.  Originally I thought it was due to the broadband username being wrong. It was setup@plusdsl.net but I have changed that to my correct username.  This has improved my speed, as before doing this I was only receiving around 1mbps! Now I'm getting 29mbps on the test I have just run but this is still slower that what I have been estimated. This test was on my laptop over wifi.

The other major issue I am having is when using my iphone on the wifi. Sometimes it works fine other times it doesn't work at all or is really slow. I have just run a bt wholesale speed test on my phone and received 15mbps, but just before doing that I could not connect to any websites at all. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Adam

4 REPLIES 4
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: New Customer: Slow download speeds and intermittent connection

You could try splitting the 2.4 and 5GHz wifi bands, it helps with Apple products.

Navigate in a web browser to 192.168.1.254.

Click Advanced Settings

Enter your Hub admin password when prompted (unless you've changed it, you'll find the default password on the settings card)
Continue to Advanced Settings.
Click on Wireless.
Click 5GHz tab.
Change 'Sync with 2.4Ghz' to No.
Change the name of the 'Wireless SSID' - I added a '_5' on the end.
Save the changes.

You can then select which one you want per device.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
thekent
Dabbler

I had the same problems and switched my router settings. 
No longer have so many connection problems with Apple products (phone, iPad) ...but the connection is poor. Ive purchased other routers in the past and they have not helped. I was advised by an experienced IT person that Plusnet is not compatiable with all routers.
Its a very poor service and seems very strange that Plusnets routers are not compatiable with Apple products. I logged in here to see if there is yet, any solution?
Very poor show.

Adamvelo

Thanks for the quick reply.

This seems to have worked but will keep an eye on it to make sure.

Cheers,

Adam

Adamvelo

Agreed, it does seem odd that they don't support Apple products very well. The solutions seems to have worked so far but not sure how it will effect my signal when using my phone in other parts of the house. Time will tell!