cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer, One Month Later & Very Very Slow!

retroz

New Customer, One Month Later & Very Very Slow!

Scenario is this: A couple of years ago with BT, they introduced fibre to our street for the first time. We were first to sign up & started with 37mbps. Over the next two years this dropped to 26-29mbps with a guarantee of at least 22mbps.

Last month we switched to plusnet fibre expecting similiar speeds, using btwholesale speed test, we started with 5mbps and at one stage it actually went up to 21, but now it has settled at anything between 5 & 10mbps. It is very slow compared to BT and we keep losing our connection. Running troubleshooter it resets the ethernet adaptor & we are reconnected, not sure if this is coincidence or not.

Any ideas?

Russ

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: New Customer, One Month Later & Very Very Slow!

Welcome to the forum.

Are you testing your speed using wireless or an Ethernet cable. If it’s wireless then what do you get with an Ethernet able.

If you still have your BT router then try this. You will find instructions in the Router forum If you have a BT Smarthub 6 it has better WiFi performance than the Plusnet Hub One.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

retroz

I'm not using wireless, are you saying connect my old BT router and try that instead? Will that work?

Russ

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Yes, a BT router will work on PN, you just need to enter your username and password and away you go. There are more details on the forum, shout up if you can't find them.

The PN Hub 1 is the same as a BT HH5, but if you have a BT HH6 then that is a better router then either of the HH5 types.

retroz

Thanks, just checked the BT router, it's a Home Hub 5.0 type B, is it still woth trying?

Russ

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Yes you need to put your Plusnet user name and password in manually See https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Use-a-BT-Hub-2-3-4-or-5-on-a-Plusnet-connection/td-p/1192234 or https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Smart-Hub-6-Variants-and-Performance/m-p/1514241#M5679

I have been using a Smarthub 6 for nearly a year and it works fine.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

retroz

Thanks for your help, I'll give that a go tomorrow, getting too late right now.

Russ

shrubbfamily
Grafter

When I first joined plusnet I used there Hub one router for few weeks I find the WIFI rubbish I was getting very low speeds I looked into getting BT hub 6 and wow what a difference. 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Our tests aren't showing any problems with the line.

Let us know how you get on after swapping the router.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team