cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer - Not a great start - service/speed etc

mozzyd

New Customer - Not a great start - service/speed etc

I thought i would share my initial experience with PN after moving from Sky. I have wasted a day at home after being told an engineer would need to visit my property, which as it actually turned out when i contacted PN live chat (when BT OW engneer didnt turn up) i didnt need to do as i was down for "self Installation". Why send me a mail saying i needed to be in then?
Phone was live at around 10.30 am so sat there waiting to join the superfast fibre crowd. No email received 11, 12, 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5pm had enough of waiting by then (surely its just flicking a switch, who am i to know). Joined another live chat as there was over 30min wait for the phone. over 1 hour later i get through to someone who says i'll check and look into i for you. "Ah yes i can push that through for you now" low and behold! i get an email about 5 seconds later sayingmy service is live. So i'm guessing someone forgot to flick the switch?
All excited (i know its sad but was really looking forward to an improvement on 4mb) i switch on and it connects etc. do a quick speedtest and its showing just short of 69mb down and 19mb up on wireless through speedtest.net. Yay! happy days. Now i know i have to wait for the line to settle down but after this the speed dropped to 1mb then 15mb and seems to have settled around 20-25mb.
Is this to be expected? I'm on the unlimited and am expecting 70+mb as was advised when signing up.
6 REPLIES 6
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: New Customer - Not a great start - service/speed etc

Hi Mozzyd
Welcome to the forums.
You can check the speed that Plusnet have set at this URL https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed  .It will require you to log into your Plusnet account.
Often this speed gets set back to your ADSL speed and needs a kick from Plusnet to sort it out, it is called the "Current Line Speed" if you need to call Plusnet and get them to sort it out.

Also check out your BT Wholesale profiles at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/ , run the test by answering Yes and then run the further diagnostics option once it completes the speed test. You just enter your phone number for this screen. This will then hopefully show you the speeds that BT Wholesale have set your line to.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
mozzyd

Yes i'll do all the check tonight and let you know. cheers
Kimberlin
Rising Star

Quote from: georgelnx
.....Also check out your BT Wholesale profiles at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/ , run the test by answering Yes and then run the further diagnostics option once it completes the speed test. You just enter your phone number for this screen. This will then hopefully show you the speeds that BT Wholesale have set your line to.

So perhaps someone can explain why when I conduct the BT Wholesale broadband speed test, that it is currently stating my download speed is 9mb and yet when I run OOKLA speed test, it shows I'm getting a download speed of 36mb????
I've watched stuff in high quality on BBC iplayer without any issues and I can't find anything slow about my internet connection, so why is the BT speed test so different from all of the other speed tests I've run?
*Update*
I decided to run the BT Wholesale speed test on my desk top which is located in a bedroom. I realise that the test should be done using an ethernet cable, but I don't have a 10 metre cable and so I tried it wirelessly. My desk top has an ASUS PCE AC68 wireless card which is dual band and is an exceptional bit of kit which I connect to my Homehub router using 5ghz band only. Well even wirelessly with firewalls and anti-malware off, my download speed is consistently recorded at 37mb. So I cannot complain as I'm on a 40mb fibre package. I'm actually hoping the 37mb will improve slightly once my new Tandy high speed RJ11 1m modem cable arrives. I understand the supplied DSL cable supplied with the router isn't that great.  I've already changed the faceplate on my BT socket for the Openreach MK3 VDSL plate.
The problem therefore is, because I've run several tests, my old Acer laptop. Even hardwired directly into the router, it won't accept speeds above 11mb. Not entirely sure why that would be, but I'm considering buying a USB ac wireless dongle to see if this fixes the issue when I'm using the laptop in the living room just 3 metres from the router.
mozzyd

ok here are the results
PN website
Postcode:
Phone exchange:
RINGWAY
Estimated line speed:
80Mb (This may vary between 71.3Mb and 80Mb) - Checked on 2015-11-16 12:42:17
Current line speed:
77.4 Mb
BT Wholesale test on LAN
DL 73.79 mbps
up 15.89 mbps
Ping 27.38ms
BT Wholesale test on WIFI
DL 60.53 mbps
up 15.89 mbps
Ping 41.38ms
Speedtest.net WIFI on phone
DL 66.53 mbps
up 18.89 mbps
Ping 18ms
I've run a couple of tests on speedtestover half an hour and the speed is moving around between 25-66mb
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Hi mozzyd

Is the speed now stable at these speeds or are you still seeing massive variations on the BTW tests?
I don't use speeedtest.net anymore but Plusnet only use the speed from the BTW tests hence why I asked you to run them. Also Plusnet can only see the last test result so if you get a bad one then use that in any fault reports.
There can be issues with capacity in peak hours (6pm too 10pm 'ish) , an issue which has affected my connection from March to November and is linked to the Plusnet gateway where your internet session is logged in.
You can track which gateway you connect to at http://users.plus.net/@gateway_custom?debug-ip=yes
However it looks like you are getting in excess of 70Mbps via LAN on BTW so any difference to your estimate maybe negligible. The estimate is just that, and as soon as the line goes live then the speed will be known and may be near to the estimate. Or not as some have found out.
I doubt Plusnet will do anything as your speed needs to be 40% under the estimate for their supplier (eg BTW) to look at AFAICR.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
mozzyd

Thanks for the check it was fairly stable last night i will just keep monitoring it.