Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer - Extremely high latency and bandwidth ~20% of stated minimum

davidmarshall15
Hooked

New Customer - Extremely high latency and bandwidth ~20% of stated minimum

Hello,

First of all, I would like to say that I have used the FTTC infrastructure for almost 8 years, with my previous provider and although I am on an impacted line, the ping times were always low 10's ms, the bandwidth was always 30Mb+/5Mb+ and the connection was solid.

Since joining plusnet 2 seeks ago, I have experienced connections dropped, usually around 4 minutes long and up to once per day, I put these down to the new line profiling itself and indeed today I received an email from plusnet stating

Estimated line speed: 34Mbps to 48Mbps
This shows the normally available speeds your line is capable of. You may have chosen to buy a product which runs at slower speeds.
Current line speed: 36.8Mbps
This is a measure of the actual line speed you are now receiving based on the product you have taken.
Minimum guaranteed access line speed: 31.4Mbps

At 07:03 this morning when that email was received, the speed was fine.

Since around lunchtime today, there has been a number of lost connections, I have rebooted the router a number of times and the ping remains 600ms+, down around 5Mb and speedtest fails to register upload speed.

Can someone investigate and fix.

Thanks

David

8 REPLIES 8
davidmarshall15
Hooked

Re: New Customer - Extremely high latency and bandwidth ~20% of stated minimum

Here is an example.

speedtestspeedtest

davidmarshall15
Hooked

Here is another speedtest, using the windows 10 app.

Good numbers compared to earlier but still way below acceptable.

speedtest2.png

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @davismarshall15,

Sorry to see this, we can see there are a large amount of drops, and you have raised a fault here, Before we process this further and go down the route of an engineer, please can you confirm you have ruled out  your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket, which is under the face-plate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

It's never a good idea to keep rebooting the modem/router DLM will see this as a issue and act by reducing speeds or even worse banding the line, you may have done more harm than what the actual issue is, if you really need to reboot only do so once then wait a couple of hours before doing so again if needs be but i wouldn't do any more than that in a 24 hr period.

davidmarshall15
Hooked

@Terranova667 The reboots generally where when there was no connection at all, but thanks I will keep that in mind.

davidmarshall15
Hooked

@SammyM

If I remove the faceplate then where would I plugin the DSL cable from the modem?

There is no extension beyond the master socket, I have disconnected the telephone and the issue persists.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @davidmarshall15,

You'll need a microfilter to be able to connect the router to the test socket. You should have received a microfilter with your router - if you've still got the box for the router I'd recommend checking if it's in there.

If you've not got the microfilter that came with the router you can purchase them for a few pounds from most hardware/electronics shops, alternatively we can order one for you - there'd be no charge for this but it would take 3-5 working days to arrive. Please let us know if you'd like us to order you a microfilter.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
davidmarshall15
Hooked

It has been working fine since connecting a filter to the master socket.

There are no extensions in the house, could there be a problem with the faceplate itself?

Anyway, I am happy to leave the faceplate off with the filter connected directly, so this issue is resolved.

If anyone is interested, I came across this speedtest on dslreports, it tests both speed and bufferbloat, I discovered the bufferbloat on my line was bad (rated F) and as I used OpenWRT+LEDE, it was easy to get A+