cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer: Constantly having to reset router

minicorrect

New Customer: Constantly having to reset router

There is a problem with my connection as I have to keep resetting the router. One or more of my devices just will not connect unless I do. I can be sitting listening to music online and working on my laptop when it'll all turn off - the light on the router doesn't change and then some of my devices will reconnect, but not all of them. This happens at least once a day and is driving me mad. I usually have to restart my laptop for it to pick up the reconnection once the router has restarted as well. I've been with Plusnet for a month now and was told when I called about it that it would improve once the line had settled in. But it hasn't!! Any suggestions welcome!

6 REPLIES 6
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: New Customer: Constantly having to reset router

Hi @minicorrect and welcome to the Community Forums.
I'm sorry to hear you're having connection issues and from the description you've given it sounds wireless interference related. Having a look at your connection when testing there isn't anything flagging up that would explain the intermittent connection your describing and therefore I'm fairly confident that the wireless optimisation steps should help with the drops you're seeing.

The guide below will show you how to log into the router and change the wireless channel as it's usually another router in the area on the same or similar channel that will be causing issues for both wireless frequencies. Before picking a channel I'd suggest downloading a free app called wifi analyzer which will scan your area for all the routers and show what channels they are on between 1-13. Although the above app isn't essential it helps you pick where your router would be best in terms of channels and saves a lot of time doing it via trial and error.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'. What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection. Once this is changed, we will need to keep an eye on it for a day or 2 to see if the issue continues. If it does, the next step would be to change the wireless channel. Keeping in mind the original 2.4Ghz unchanged name network connection would be the best to connect your devices to for a stronger signal.

4) Following the above guide to get to your 'Advanced Settings' page, you will need to change the settings within the 2.4 GHz Wireless tab and the 5 GHz Wireless tab.

5) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels, This can also need doing under '5 GHz Wireless' to cover both signals. Give it 3-4 hours of testing to see if the issue still persists and try to change the channel again if you see little or no improvement.
Let us know how it goes.

N7ck
Grafter

Had the same problem, wireless just randomly stops working.

Plusnet router is rubbish, save yourself some hassle a buy a decent router.

minicorrect

Thanks - trying out your suggestions - changed channels for both 2.4 and 5 and separated some of my devices onto 5ghz network to see if it makes any difference.

N7ck
Grafter

5Ghz is awful on that thing... It could do with some aerials. Good luck with that, but it did the same thing.

Now why are plusnet recommending you do this... Known issue with the router maybe?

I don't think it has enough power to handle 5Ghz.
minicorrect

All going seemingly fine, then at 16.10 everything went off. Was able to connect laptop and phone to the 2.4Ghz option but not speakers and still can't get on 5Ghz option. If I were to buy a new router (and/or modem) any recommendations as this is ridiculous? I work from home and just cannot spend so much time resetting and restarting everything. I thought the offer was too good to be true - seems I was right!!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @minicorrect 

Can you try switching the 5GHz frequency off running solely on the 2.4GHz letting us know how it goes?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet