Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Connection - Lower Speed than old connection

benrb7
Hooked

New Connection - Lower Speed than old connection

Hi there,

I moved over to Plusnet from sky last Thursday. For comparatives sake I performed a speed test with sky in the morning and plusnet in the evening and you can see from the  I am now getting 2/3's of the download speed and half the upload. I am also seeing double the ping time - game quite frequently and this is important...

Speedtest compared.jpg

I have tried calling plusnet Friday and Sat no one was taking calls. I managed to speak with someone yesterday after waiting 45 mins who has advised they will get BT to look into this further with a resolution date of Wed.

You'll see the BTW checked for my line below and what my line should be capable of supporting.

BT Wholesale linechecker.jpg

I have previously had a line speed with Sky in Oct last year of this result 65.78up / 18.76down with a 10ms ping: https://beta.speedtest.net/result/8720262232 This is the speed my line can and should support and would like to get back to obtaining this speed.

Have I made a mistake moving to plusnet. Should I of stuck where I was? I hope this gets resolved, if it isn't am I within my rights if they cannot meet my minimum line speed (50mb) to leave without charge?

3 REPLIES 3
benrb7
Hooked

Why did I switch to plusnet.

I had my broadband activated on Thursday. For comparatives sake I performed a speed test with sky in the morning and you can see from the attached I am now getting 2/3's of the download speed and half the upload. I am also seeing double the ping time - game quite frequently and this is important... I do hope that as part of the 10 day settling period this speed increases.

I will monitor over the next week and a half and persevere in the hope that this speed will settle and increase with stability, but if it does not I will be in touch.

I have previously had a line speed with Sky in Oct last year of this result 65.78up / 18.76down with a 10ms ping: https://beta.speedtest.net/result/8720262232

I also attach the BT line checker, my downstream and upstream even on the low end should be 58.2 / 18. To note whilst with sky I had BT attend (before this Covid19) about 6 weeks ago and he replaced the whole line into the property up to the filtered faceplate.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Re: Why did I switch to plusnet.

Moderators Note

Posts released from spam filter and merged.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
benrb7
Hooked

Re: New Connection - Lower Speed than old connection

By way of an update, when I finally got through on Sunday to Plusnet they confirmed that I was on the correct package of 80/20 and raised a support ticket with BT Openreach.

I have just had a call from the BT Openreach engineer who has confirmed I am not on an 80/20 package and it appears I am on a 40/10 package. He did note that call centres in India are currently limited with the current situation and would probably need to raise this with a UK call centre.

I did explain that I am not getting the speeds I used to so just to double check the line between the cab and property in sheer desperation that this may assist to get back up to the speeds I used to.

Very disappointed that Plusnet tell me I am on the correct package (verbally) and BT OR engineer tells me my line is capped at the lower rate, this is schoolboy stuff... Or should be. Look at the stats, within 2/3Kbps off 40/10.

UP Speed            Down Speed      SNR Upstream   SNR Downstream

9,997 (Kbps)      39,998 (Kbps)    15 (dB)                 5 (dB)

Extract from my order email.

2020-03-31_08-12-05.jpg

BT OR engineer is still working on it to see what can be done. I am getting well below my current speeds that I should be getting, my minimum guaranteed line speed should be 50mbps and have seen my line support up to 72mbps download.