Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Connection - 13-14mbs?

ozziejoe
Hooked

New Connection - 13-14mbs?

Hello Everyone,

Just changed my provider to Plusnet and am a bit concerned with the current speed. My previous provider sent a BT Engineer to my property and recorded 20mbs at the Openreach Master Socket, was hoping to get minimum 15-18mbs. Can someone please help me with this speed issue. Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: New Connection - 13-14mbs?

Our tests aren't showing any issues but your current speeds are within estimates I'm afraid that our suppliers wouldn't accept this as a fault.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ozziejoe
Hooked

Thank you for your reply. I don't understand why the speed drops from 20mbs at the Openreach Master socket to 13-14mbs when going through the router, can anyone explain this please? When I signed up I was guaranteed a minimum of 15mbs - 21mbs. Something is not right and just need a solution. Thank you.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

What does the DSL Checker say for your phone line?

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Have you tried plugging your modem into the test socket behind the master socket face plate?

Brian

ozziejoe
Hooked

Thank you for your reply Brian. Will remove face plate and try that. I have attached the following, but don't understand it!

bmc
Hero

Trying your Test socket eliminates any possible internal wiring interference.

AS to you picture you're interested in the VDSL results.

The "A" result is for a good clean line and appears to offer downloads of between 18.8 and 13.1

The "B" result is for a poor quality line and appears to offer downloads of between 13.8 and 5.2

So you're either at the low end of a good line and near the top of a poor line. I'm guessing you're some distance from your cabinet.

Brian

ozziejoe
Hooked

1400m away from cabinet Brian. Face plate off plugged directly into socket. Let's see how we get on! Thanks once again Brian for your help, greatly appreciated.

bmc
Hero

To make it clear, using the test socket isolates any other extensions so you should simply run a speed test and then put the face plate back on and re-connect as usual.

One other thing to ask - are you running the speed test on a wired or WiFi connection.

Brian

ozziejoe
Hooked

Hi Brian,

I have tried running speed tests using both wired and Wifi and the results are roughly the same, which I was surprised. At least there's consistency!

I just don't understand how I can lose 6-7mbs from the Master Socket going through the router which is right next to it and only lose 4mb from the cabinet (24mbs at the cabinet according to BT Engineer) which is 1400m away! I would have thought it would have been the other way round.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there, first of all welcome to the community forums.

I've tested your fibre service, and your router is showing in sync at...

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 15.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 1.2 Mbps

We're not identifying any issues on the line.

Voice Line Test Result Pass

The sync speed is within your estimates/expectations for your line, and if the test socket doesn't improve that, it's likely that that's as much speed your line can handle unfortunately.

Your throughput (download speed) of 13-14mbps is right on target for that sync of 15mbps.

I hope this helps clarify things.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet