cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Cabinet

mac51
Grafter

New Cabinet

My FTTC service comes from a distant cabinet via some 40+ year-old aluminium cable. Download speed is variable, currently 14.6 Mb/s. Last week a new Huawei FTTC cabinet appeared at the end of the road. Is there any way of finding out more about plans to bring this online and what services will be offered?

5 REPLIES 5
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: New Cabinet

I've checked the SuperFast Suffolk website and they've advised that your area is classed as "partial or no coverage in planning for upgrade between 2017 and 2020"

You'd have to contact Openreach to find out more information I'm afraid. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mac51
Grafter

Thanks, Matthew, I hadn't seen that. BT won't offer Infinity on my line because they can't guarantee 15Mb/s so I guess that explains the classification. I've emailed Openreach on their form to see what they will tell me. Meanwhile someone has been measuring cable lengths between foot-way boxes. I don't know whether this is for replacement of distribution pairs (GFast?) or performance data from the new cabinet.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I'm sure I've seen examples somewhere where the lines are moved to a new cabinet to give faster speeds.

Fingers crossed this is the case for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

You could always waylay any poor OpenReach engineer you see at the new cabinet and ask them if they know what's planned.

Chances are they'll say no!!!

Brian

mac51
Grafter

Thanks, Matthew. I would hope that if this is part of the Suffolk Broadband initiative that it is not just providing new capacity but also upgrading existing services. There is no new housing to cater for so let's see. If I was to upgrade to a 78 Mb/s service which cannot be provided from the existing cabinet, would that help?

Thanks, Brian. As we live in the shadow of the BT Research Labs radio tower there are plenty of people around that work there and feel it is their right to grill the poor Openreach guys! Whether they know the plans, as you suggest, is a different matter.