Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Build

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: New Build

If it's a greenfield site, it really wouldn't surprise me if there ends up being no voice availability at all i.e. FTTP only.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@bobpullen wrote:
If it's a greenfield site, it really wouldn't surprise me if there ends up being no voice availability at all i.e. FTTP only.

Does this need a bit of clarification @bobpullen

BT can supply the FVA option to deliver two voice channels down the FTTP connection and in many cases the ONT wiring and battery back-up (obligatory for the voice connection) are installed as standard.  The complications arise around the tarriffing (No surprise there!) and the requirement (I believe?) to support a SIP service.

The technology can deliver but is getting confused by the commercials.

Compare the ill fated TPON service - Optimised for telephony over fibre, but no broadband.

Now we have FTTP but in most cases still need to keep the copper voice service.

Crazy!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Good old TPON - been on it for over 20 years. At least we had test equipment installed in 2007 to give an up to 8 ADSL service. Mind you, although we would have been on dial up speeds due to distance (as 60 odd EO lines nearby were until last month) we would have got FTTC in 2014 if the cabinets had been supplied by copper.

Out only hope is FTTP. Council said at the beginning of the year a tender was in preparation - nothing further heard!!!. In June a local councillor said an FTTP announcement was due by the end of April!!!

Brian

MauriceC
Resting Legend

@bmc wrote:
In June a local councillor said an FTTP announcement was due by the end of April!!!

But being a politician, he probably didn't quote a year Grin

Our local county plan for 'expedited' Superfast broadband is 'March next year'  (Note the quotes!).  I'ts been 'March next year' for at least two years in between sporadic periods of 'No service planned'.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero

To be fair to the "politician" it was clear from the article that he meant April 2017 ie the announcement was overdue. It could also be the case that two separate forces are conflicting with each other.

The council announcement was part of a "City Deal" speel where they are going to upgrade all local areas with poor speed. The councillor was speaking about an OpenReach announcement, presumably related to the Scottish government superfast program.

Brian

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@MauriceC wrote:

@bobpullen wrote:

Does this need a bit of clarification @bobpullen

BT can supply the FVA option...

Granted there's FVA - but hardly anyone is consuming it (certainly not Plusnet) and I have doubts over its long term viability. Especially in the advent of newer products like Single Order GEA.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MauriceC
Resting Legend

Granted there's FVA - but hardly anyone is consuming it (certainly not Plusnet) and I have doubts over its long term viability. Especially in the advent of newer products like Single Order GEA.

Certainly an interesting product Bob, but it's probably at least a year away from general deployment.  Given BT group's appalling record at deploying any of it's competing technologies to the wider market in anything like their predicted timescales - who knows?

So, FTTC; FTTP; GFast; GPON (?); ????  Which one would you take a bet on?

If SOGEA is selected PN will probably need a VoIP partner as ITSPA have strong reservation about BTOR muscling in to their existing market.  So quite likely to be a 2 year plan.

In the meantime what happens to housing / industrial developments that have geared up for FTTP?   TPON MK II to re-furtle the cabinets and add a copper link to the premises?

M

bmc
Hero

It appears the local councillor I mentioned earlier has come through. His Twitter feed is reporting all 774 houses served by TPON will be upgraded to FTTP - planned by January 2018 but we all know about OpenReach plans!!!

Haven't found any official announcement but the OpenReach "When Can I Get Fibre" website has changed from "We are Exploring Solutions" to "In Scope"

Brian