cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Build

brad_face

New Build

Hi, 

Hope someone is able to provide assistance. I've moved into a new build property on Barratt Homes development estate. They have informed me BT only provide connectivity to the estate which means any provider that uses Openreach can be used?

If so, how do I get FTTP broadband and phone line set up with PlusNet, as I preferably don't want to use BT. I've been informed we have FTTP on the estate and everything is installed by Barratt Homes, Openreach just needs to do their final part. 

Thank you. 

22 REPLIES 22
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: New Build

Does the DSL checker say something like "WBC FTTP" available? You might need to use the Post Code or Address version.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

PlusNet FTTP is only available for existing customers via a "trial" so you need to sign up for a standard product before applying to join the trial.

Brian

brad_face

Unfortunately the database doesn't know my postcode. 

Ah right thats a bummer its only for existing customers... Darn it dont want to be forced to use BT haha. 

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

A staff member may be able to help, they may reply on here - or you could ring PN and ask. Although the staff involed with the trial will probably be limited.

It may just be a case of signing up on a certain product, and it being switched. I would imagine it would need some engineering work too at your property.

Well at least you can get it, wish we all had your problem Cheesy 

bmc
Hero

Are you aware PlusNet is owned by BT!!!

There are very few providers of FTTP products using OpenReach wholesale. BT obviously, Zen Internet and Andrews & Arnold are the ones I know about. There may be a couple of others. Prices are not cheap but you don't need to pay line rental. BT will not display their offering unless the system says you can get FTTP.

The PlusNet trial product is based / priced on their FTTC offerings. No phone line incurs a £2.5 extra charge. While you could sign up with them for a standard product and then transfer to FTTP you would incur a set up charge, 12 months of line rental and then a cessation charge to deactivate you phone line (if not needed).

Brian

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes I am aware, I mentioned it in a previous post.

I know little about it, as you can probably tell.

Didn't know there were multiple providers, but aren't they just resellers who just pay BT? 

bmc
Hero

OpenReach provide various wholesale products which they "sell" to any ISP who wants it. They are require to treat all equally, including BT.

For FTTC they offer 40/2, 50/10 (I think) and 80/20 plus newer G.Fast options - all at different prices.

PlusNet do not offer a 50/10 option.

Brian

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Welcome to the community forums @brad_face

As bmc advised in their initial response, the FTTP Trial is currently only available to existing customers, so you'd first need to sign up on ADSL/FTTC first and become a customer.

Having said this, if dslchecker is currently not showing WBC FTTP as available, I don't believe any providers would be able to place an FTTP order at this time, as the ordering system won't know if the product is available to order or not.

@bmc

@bmc wrote:

OpenReach provide various wholesale products which they "sell" to any ISP who wants it. They are require to treat all equally, including BT.

For FTTC they offer 40/2, 50/10 (I think) and 80/20 plus newer G.Fast options - all at different prices.

Close. It's 55/10, there is also offering at a wholesale level for 40/10 Wink

I believe the other wholesale options on FTTP are 220/20 and 330/30.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
bmc
Hero

@HarryB

If @brad_face were to PM you his address would you be able to check with the OpenReach New Builds team what the status of his estate is - is it FTTC only or FTTC and FTTP

If not, they will simply have to wait until their address / post code shows up on the DSL Checker before taking any decision on an ISP.

Brian

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'd essentially only be able to check dslchecker at this stage.

If an account was signed up for a new line install, we'd be able to place a silver key/bronze key phone order (If the address doesn't exist on the system)

Openreach would then go out and perform a survey to assess the capacity for the line and then come back with either a review date, or worst case scenario say the area is FTTP only, at which point we wouldn't be able to proceed as we don't provide voice over FTTP and we'd have to cancel our orders.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
bmc
Hero

So it's really a wait and see what's on offer when the DSL Checker database up-dates - unless

The original poster can check with any of his new neighbours to see if anyone has a phone line already installed. If so, and the number can be obtained, use that to check.

Brian

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@bmc wrote:
check with any of his new neighbours to see if anyone has a phone line already installed. If so, and the number can be obtained, use that to check.

While that would work for checking and getting a good educated guess at what should be available, it unfortunately wouldn't change the ordering/survey process if the address isn't on the ordering system and no records are held for it.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

HarryB wrote:

... or worst case scenario say the area is FTTP only, at which point we wouldn't be able to proceed as we don't provide voice over FTTP and we'd have to cancel our orders.

@HarryB,
Would this then be a catch 22 situation?
PlusNet are only geared up to supply FTTP to existing users.
A new user in an area only having FTTP can never become an existing user...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Correct, which is why I said it was the worst case scenario.

Not only for us but for a potential customer that has their mind set on joining us. As we wouldn't be able to continue to their orders Sad

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Now highlighted into the SU programme!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.